Side-effects diving enriched air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSixString:
Long term? That depends on what you mean. It is supposedly, theorectically possible to suffer pulmonary O2 toxicity (as opposed to CNS) from long term high oxygen percentage breathing.

Let's say a diver diving EAN32 or/and EAN36 for all his/her diving for the rest for his/her life (let's say 10 more years). Will there be any affects to his/her health by then.

Again, that depends on what you're doing. But there should be no long term effects over THAT long a term.

Divers (within recreational limits) on mixes richer than air (more o2 than air) tend to worry about CNS toxicity. Pulmonary is so little a risk as to be non-existant. Oxygen exposure with respect to CNS toxicity has no effects over around 12-24 hours, and then its a matter of reducing the amount of time you can stay under due to "built up" oxygen (the famous CNS "clock). Its kind of like residual nitrogen in this respect.

The short, non-medical (i'm not a doctor), answer is your pal is mis-informed.

Nitrox is a good thing, assuming you've been trained on its use.

It can kill you quick if you don't know what you're doing (CNS toxicity can be a nasty thing)

wunat:
Let's say a diver diving EAN32 or/and EAN36 for all his/her diving for the rest for his/her life (let's say 10 more years). Will there be any affects to his/her health by then.
Are there long term effects from hospital patients who breathe pure O2 for extended periods of time? Years even (on a regular basis - not always) ??

I'm not a doctor... I don't even play one on TV... but since there are no lasting "effects" of breathing pure O2 (like many people call it a hangover cure, or the "cure" for altitude sickness, but really - once you discontinue the use of the O2, the symptoms can return for both) I can't imagine why there would be any lasting effects to your body from breathing slightly enriched air.

I could be way off base though.

abitton:
Definitely some long-term effects to the wallet. That ain't never comin' back...
Not if your fill shop charges the same for Nitrox as it does for air :wink:

ScubaSixString:
I don't know that it ever happens to anyone who isn't in a hospital on pure o2 for days.
And from what i gather, its not all that serious. Just irritation of the lungs from the effects of O2.
Pulmonary (or "whole body") oxygen toxicity can kill you. That's pretty serious :)
On the bright side for recreational divers, we are generally not concerned with pulmonary toxicity because our exposure times to high oxygen partial pressures are far too short. If you get into tech diving you'll learn about "air breaks" and other techniques to keep pulmonary toxicity below the physiological radar horizon.
As for the original question, there have been some studies in fighter pilots that seem to correlate eventual emphysema with repeated moderate (a few hours) exposure to 100% oxygen and pressure breathing (oxygen delivered routinely at 2" water overpressure), but the last time I checked the argument was still raging as to whether it was the oxygen or the overpressure that was the main factor, with the overpressure argument seeming to have the upper hand. (I haven't looked at that for about two decades so there may well be some late breaking news on that front).
Rick

wunat:
OK, now that clarifies your question.

The simple answer is; “IF” you have been breathing O2 for say 10 years and quit, that eleventh year isn’t going to get here. :D :D (joke)

I don’t know what you heard but forget it. NITROX is not new to diving. It has been around for many generations and it was used during WW1. That’s not the first Warm Water lover but World War One.

Before it ever got applied to Sport Diving it had been run through the ringer many, many times and what has emerged is a very safe gas when used as directed.

It was developed in the late 1800’s so it’s not something new; it has been time tested. The mixtures allowed for sport are far less than what is used in other diving applications. So if you can afford it use it.

Some notice a benefit while others don’t. But to know how you will react, try it and see for yourself.

Gary D.

howarde:
Not if your fill shop charges the same for Nitrox as it does for air :wink:
Is that good news - i.e. cheap NOTROX, or
Bad news - expensive Air?

tedwhiteva:
Is that good news - i.e. cheap NOTROX, or
Bad news - expensive Air?
There's nothing bad about it at all. It's fill express in Pompano, FL. Probably the most respected fill station in south florida. The offer Nitrox in 32, 36, and 40% all for the same price as air... also offer pre-mixed tri-mix, and charge for all gas by the cu ft. instead of just a straight fill... So you can top off your tanks as well for only a few bucks. Especially if you buy a fill card :wink:

That's REALLY interesting...

What was the gas mix used for back then? Was it for diving also?

Gary D.:
OK, now that clarifies your question.

The simple answer is; “IF” you have been breathing O2 for say 10 years and quit, that eleventh year isn’t going to get here. :D :D (joke)

I don’t know what you heard but forget it. NITROX is not new to diving. It has been around for many generations and it was used during WW1. That’s not the first Warm Water lover but World War One.

Before it ever got applied to Sport Diving it had been run through the ringer many, many times and what has emerged is a very safe gas when used as directed.

It was developed in the late 1800’s so it’s not something new; it has been time tested. The mixtures allowed for sport are far less than what is used in other diving applications. So if you can afford it use it.

Some notice a benefit while others don’t. But to know how you will react, try it and see for yourself.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom