Side-effects diving enriched air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During some conversation with some of my diving friends, one of them raises the fact that he once heard from others that if one dives enriched air alot, there are some long-term physical side-effects.

Is it true?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

DON'T USE IT!!! Studies have shown that long term use causes your kids to be born nekkid...... :D

Oxygen use is ultimately fatal ... everyone who breathes it eventually dies ... :D

Wisecracks aside ... if used properly, the only side-effects of using nitrox rather than air will be a somewhat thinner wallet ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

we blend and use our own 32% and firefyter's right-been two nekid born chillen !!
other than that,i've never heard of any side effects. if you were to use aviator grade 100% for an extended time,(over an hour)there would be issues with dehydration due to the lack of moisture in it.(at least that's what ny instructor said in the DAN O2 course)

wunat:
During some conversation with some of my diving friends, one of them raises the fact that he once heard from others that if one dives enriched air alot, there are some long-term physical side-effects.

Is it true?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Long term? That depends on what you mean. It is supposedly, theorectically possible to suffer pulmonary O2 toxicity (as opposed to CNS) from long term high oxygen percentage breathing.

I don't know that it ever happens to anyone who isn't in a hospital on pure o2 for days.

And from what i gather, its not all that serious. Just irritation of the lungs from the effects of O2.

Thats one of the "it might happen to you if you're the 1 in 1000000000000" they teach in class, anyway

Some info

http://members.tripod.com/tjaartdb0/html/oxygen_toxicity.html#PO

Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity(PO)

PO toxicity occurs when the diver is exposed to elevated levels oxygen for several hours. This causes damage to the cell lining of the lungs, the lung walls, the formation of fluid in the lungs and causes a feeling of shortness of breath combined with a burning throat and chest. This causes breathing to become very painful.

PO toxicity manifests itself after the diver is exposed (12 hours or more) to relatively low levels of partial oxygen pressures (pO2), 0.6 ATA (atmospheres absolute) and up.

The lungs are lined with a viscous fluid almost acting like a surfactant which helps in gas exchange and helps to lower the surface tension of the alveoli(lung sacs). When the alveoli are exposed to elevated pO2, the oxygen starts to attack the surfactant and breaks it down. This causes a shortness of breath. Normally this surfactant is regenerated if the exposure is only a few hours but on continued exposure the alveoli walls start to swell, filling the lung sacs with fluid and and decreasing the oxygen supply to the alveoli cells.

Thus too much oxygen results in not enough oxygen reaching the blood resulting in hypoxia (oxygen shortage)! That is why diving on 100% oxygen is only safe up to 20 ft or 7m.

PO toxicity is not a serious problem since it is difficult to expose oneself to oxygen long enough for this to become a real problem.

If you take the class, you will (may, depending on agency) learn about the tables that show what are supposed to be safe levels and rates of exposure at those levels.

I know that diving with regular air has caused me to spend lots of money on scuba gear, plan impulsive vacations to exotic tropical places, drink lots of drinks with umbrellas and fruit in them, develop a strong liking for Jimmy Buffett, and lust after my next dive like a heroin addict jonesin' for his next fix. I can only imagine what diving with enriched air is going to do to me! :D

Ok,ok,ok, Its nice to know that when I feel down about not being able to dive,I can visit the board and can get a real chuckle from most board members. Keep up the interesting responses, and dive safe, perferably with oxygen levels above 21%.
I dive on nitrox32 using air tables and I have no worries. Stay wet and happy!
R.H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom