Shutter woes--can you help me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm really frustrated! On my past several dives, my camera gets stuck and won't take any pics.

I'm shooting an Oly 4000 in a PT-10. I can take 1-2 pics and then the camera won't take any more. I can turn the camera off and then back on and take a pic, but it will stick again. I don't think depth is a real factor since I was often shooting under 20 feet in Florida a few weeks back and still having this problem. The camera works perfectly on land.

Pressure at maybe the problem. Check all the housing control buttons, they are all spring loaded to return the button back to its normal outward position. A weak return spring on the button may not have enough force to over come the water pressure pushing in.

Could be possible that a certain button on the camera is kept in a "pressed" position by the housing buttons, so the camera will not operate in its normal condition. Another possibilty is that the oring in the control buttons maybe dry, causing the control shaft of the button to stick.

Thanks, f3nikon, for your reply. I really appreciate it! I will check my housing carefully this weekend. I hope I can find the problem.

I had the same problem with my olympus camera in a light & motion Tetra housing that I rented. It took 4 dives to figure it out. It had something to do with the zoom lever. After moving the zoom for your shot, move it back to the neutral or center position and see if this works, it did for me. Could be the pressure at depth combined with a weak spring? Good luck, let me know if it works for you. TC

Tsea:
I had the same problem with my olympus camera in a light & motion Tetra housing that I rented. It took 4 dives to figure it out. It had something to do with the zoom lever. After moving the zoom for your shot, move it back to the neutral or center position and see if this works, it did for me. Could be the pressure at depth combined with a weak spring? Good luck, let me know if it works for you. TC

Thanks for another good idea of what to try. I loosened the bolt in the shutter lever. Camera worked fine yesterday in 6 feet pool, but I'll try moving the zoom around next time I dive. Only problem is who knows when that will be! I'll let you know if it works!

Yeah on the zoom thing.. Believe it needs to be in the center

(not to mention it could be batteries being low?) I've had some bad batteries SunPak... try just using copper tops to see if that makes a difference.. probably not, but sometimes the obvious is over looked.
Hope that helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom