"Shutter lag" with A75 in housing underwater???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious what type of "shutter lag" users of the Canon A75 have experienced when using it underwater in a housing. Thanks

ScubaTexas:
I'm curious what type of "shutter lag" users of the Canon A75 have experienced when using it underwater in a housing. Thanks

It depends greatly on the mode. In manual exposure, manual focus, there is very little lag, not noticable. In full automatic it can be measured in _seconds_.

I use autofocus in manual exposure mode. Lag is not bad there and can be reduced by pressing halfway down in the shutter button and letting the camera focus then there is n lag in the second haalf of the botton press.

In varoius auto modes the camera may pre-flash which adds to lag, autofocus takes times, which adds lag and the useless "red eye reduction" adds lag. Turnning all this off reduces shutter lag.

Also, water clearity has some effect on autofocus time. In poor viz. the camera has a heck of a time autofocusing and also at night or dim light it takes "forever" to autofocus. At night using a divelight as a focus light helps.

It also helps to hold the button down halfway to let the camera figure out what it's doing before taking the picture, when possible. If I know I'm waiting for a critter to come out of a hole, for example, I'll get the camera adjusted for the focus and lighting before snapping the shot. If you do that, the lag is minimal.

I use an A40, but I assume it's the same.

Thanks for the very helpful information. How do the pictures come out with the A75? Is it worth buying a housing for it or am I better off putting that money toward a dedicated underwater digital camera?

I love my A75!! Some of the photos in my gallery (I tried to mark them in the description) are with the A75 or A70. Also check out the thread in UW Photo re Settings for Canon A & S series...there are some great examples there.

I'd get the housing. You can add lenses and strobes to this unit if you want to and it will then grow with you. If you decide to move to a different system later, this makes a great backup!

ScubaTexas:
Thanks for the very helpful information. How do the pictures come out with the A75? Is it worth buying a housing for it or am I better off putting that money toward a dedicated underwater digital camera?

I see this question come up a lot. I don't think there ARE any "dedicated underwater digital cameras". OK what about the Sea Life 310? It's a housed camera. The housed Canon is a good system. There are better systems but then you will pay more.

Back
Top Bottom