Shuffle and mod-dolphin kicks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reading through some literature last night I came across a reference to the "Shuffle" and "Modified Dolphin" kicks - I was taught the regular Dolphin in my OW class, but can anyone describe these to me? btw the literature was by IANTD if that helps...

Aloha, Tim

The description I have of the shuffle kick comes from the IANTD Technical Diver Encyclopedia. It's basically what most of us refer to as a modified flutter...with bent knees (the skydiver like position) an the fins are kept well above the divers horizontal axis with the kick commming from the knee rather than the hip as sometimes taught in recreational diving.

The kick that I think of as a shuffle is essentally the same only with VERY little vertical motion...mostly horizontal with a little bit of fin tip flex providing the propulsion.

IANTD describes the modified flutter as a flutter where the fins remain but could extend to the divers horizontal axis.

The heel toe kicks or ankle kicks are modified flutter kicks where the kick is driven from the ankle (very little motion.)

I would consider any of those as modified flutters and there are other variations, though, I can't think of which book they are described in, such as one legged kicks. Besides situations where you might only have one leg that's working, the one legged kicks can be used with the nonkicking leg used to block the wash from the kicking leg and is useful in ver small silty areas where you can't get your feet up very higb but also can't have fin wash blasting the bottom.

Those descriptions/names are a little different than what you see from some other agencies like the NACD, NSS-CDS or GUE.

I can't be much help with the dolphin kicks.

Modified Dolphin is just the Dolphin (legs/feet together moving in unison) done from the knees with the knees bent so that the feet remain above the plane of your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom