Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Been playing around with the Waterproof Ultima Dry-Glove System I recently purchased and some gloves that SHOWA sent me to test the fit before purchasing.

SHOWA sent me 6 pairs of gloves:
1 set of 720 size XXL
1 set of 720 size XL
1 set of 660 size XXL
1 set of 660 size XL
1 set of 465 size XL
1 set of 465 size L

The 465 model glove have a removable yellow fuzzy inner glove liner and each size of the outer glove has their own correspondingly sized inner glove. I requested these specifically for the removable liners with the expectation that the XL liner would work in the XXL version of the other gloves, and the L liner would work in the XL version of the other glove models.

2 weeks ago I mounted the set of XL 720s. Since the water temp is balmy 20c where I dive right now, I wore a set of magic stretch gloves underneath for insulation. The gloves were dry and comfortable.

For my excursion this past Sunday and to get a bit more practice mounting the gloves on the Ultima rings (a very challenging process), I decided to mount the XL 660s which seem to be a popular glove for use as dry gloves.

The 660s are a PVC material. In the garage they seemed comfortable but in the water and after the dive they seemed kind of stiff.

The 720s are a nitrile material, they fit a tad bit snugger for the same size as the 660, but are more stretchy and remained much more supple during and after the dive.

I imagine the stretchy and more supple nature of the 720s will be an advantage this winter as the air and water temps plummet.

Last night I pulled the 660s off the Ultima rings and remounted the 720s which will be my glove of choice for the time being. The 660s will be relegated to dishwashing after I acquire a couple extra pair of the 720s for the save-a-dive kit spares.

If anyone is looking to scope out whether these gloves will work for them too, give SHOWA a call (1-800-241-0323) to request some samples. I was really surprised at how amenable they were to send them out and they had no problem shipping to my APO address....they arrived rather quick too. SHOWA does not sell directly to the public, but you can use the ones they will send to figure out what glove and size you want before investing any money purchasing off Amazon, Ebay, or from any other supplier.

For reference here are the products I mentioned above:
Waterproof Ultima DGS:
Products - Waterproof

Magic stretch gloves...I stole a pair from my daughter who uses them when trail running in late autumn and winter. They are tiny until you put them on and they will stretch to fit comfortably on just about any adult size hand. They are similar to this product:
https://www.amazon.com/Akanbou-Glov...pID=41li8dVRzKL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SHOWA 720:
SHOWA 720

SHOWA 465:
SHOWA 465

SHOWA 660:
SHOWA 660

-Z

Back
Top Bottom