Shoulder Pain 45 Hours After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L216

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am a new diver here with a question about DCS. I was diving a few days ago, with an instructor, and doing safety stops and all that. I did not go deeper than 15 meters and or stay under longer than 40 minutes, but about two days after diving I noticed a sudden, crippling pain in my right shoulder. (I did the math and figure out that it had been about 45 hours since my last dive.)

The pain lasted about a day and then started to subside. I didn't seek any treatment, because the symptoms started so late and because I am in a part of the world where I don't think there is much treatment available, but I am wondering if it is even possible for DCS to start so late.

Thanks for any advice!

Possible??? Folks have gotten DCS without ever having been diving just by flying.
Likely? No.
Rick

Hi L216,

Very unlikely the complaint described is DCI-related.

The reasoning:

1. The dive profiles reported make it highly unlikely that an inert gas loading sufficient to precipitate DCI was generated.

2. True onset of the first symptom of DCI presenting at ~45-hrs post-diving is exceptionally rare.

3. Joint-related DCI pain typically is most common in the hips, elbows, and knees, less so in the shoulders. The pain tends to be characterized as deep and boring rather than cramping.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

I always wonder how old the diver is when I read these. Aging is tough. :D

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to know DCS doesn't usually start so late (or after such short, shallow dives!) Maybe the problem was just having carried that heavy tank around on my back all day.

I'm 29, not that old yet! So I knew the pain wasn't arthritis....

Haha ok, 29 is young for old age aches. I don't have arthritis, but I do incur pains more from physical activities that I did at your age. There are certainly other possible causes.

Thanks for the responses guys. Good to know DCS doesn't usually start so late (or after such short, shallow dives!) Maybe the problem was just having carried that heavy tank around on my back all day.

I'm 29, not that old yet! So I knew the pain wasn't arthritis....
Are you still having a great deal of pain?
Is it possible that some other activity in the 45 hr. post-dive interval caused the pain?
Specifically what were you doing when the pain started?
Any other associated symptoms?
Have you ever had this type of pain before?
Have you ever injured your right shoulder before?
Did you take anything for the pain?
What made the pain worse?
What made the pain better?

Your answers to these questions might help you figure out the cause of the pain.

"Crippling" pain that lasts 24 hrs., even if it's not DCS-related, sounds quite serious. Perhaps you should see a physician about it. If you saw a health care professional about this, that person would probably ask you all of the above questions (and more) in addition to doing a physical exam.

Hi Bubble Trubble,

Bah! I can't figure it out! The pain is completely gone now. It lasted for a total of two days. No previous shoulder injuries or previous experiences with shoulder pain. I am pretty sure I didn't do anything else that could have hurt my should after diving, and it started the moment I sat down in a bus. The things that eventually made the pain better lying down and (oddly) flying and the things that made it worse were standing up, moving, straightening it. I did have other mild symptoms that could have been/could be DCI-related but could be other things. Oh well. It's been a week since my dive and probably pointless to see a doctor now, but maybe I should at least can DAN if I get such bad pain again.

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for going to the trouble of answering the questions. Although nothing really jumps out at me, I'm still thinking along the lines of something strictly musculoskeletal (not DCI-related).
Were you moving a heavy travel bag/suitcase onto the bus shortly before you experienced the shoulder pain?

Well, if this ever happens again, it's good to know that calling DAN is always an option. The people working the DAN phone lines give sound medical advice to members and non-members alike.

I'm glad that the pain went away on its own.

One other thing...
Before your next dive vacation/outing, take a few minutes to learn the locations of the nearest hospital and hyperbaric chamber. It's a critical part of an emergency action plan, and, for this reason, many people who travel to out-of-the-way dive destinations do this. Often, one can get this info from a local dive op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom