Should you service a dive computer frequently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take a stab at answering this:

NEVER!

A dive computer should last for years without any service. Rinse it in fresh water after every dive day, replace the batteries as needed, and that should be all it ever requires. If it requires more, you have a crappy computer.

Unless there is something wrong with it there is no reason to have it serviced. Most have a battery you can change yourself. If you aren't comfortable changing the battery yourself you can generally take it in and have that done. That shouldn't cost much. If that is what you mean by serviced, and you don't want to change the battery yourself then it depends on which computer you have. I replace the battery in my computers once a year or just before a dive trip. It's pretty cheap insurance to replace batteries before a trip I think.

I should have been a bit more clear but I think you all answered it. I was curious if having an air integrated computer ever goes out of calibration. Meaning would the pressure reading ever be off or depth and that it should be checked. I noticed my buttons were getting a bit tough to push under water and that's what made me start thinking

It is not normal for the air pressure reading to go "out of calibration." If you notice readings that seem suspicious, then sure, contact the manufacturer/distributor to see about having the malfunction fixed. I say "malfunction" because that's what it is--it is not expected that a sensor will need to be recalibrated or replaced or whatever at any point during the dive computer's life.

Agree with what the others said. It's easy enough to check the AI sensors periodically if you have an SPG as well.

If the sensors do indeed go out, that's not something that your LDS would likely be able to handle. It would have to go to the manufacturer for that.

and it is essentially impossible to "calibrate" pressure sensors because when they go out of calibration, the sensor has been damaged, so it will not be off in a linear fashion. Same with depth sensors *they're the same basic thing, just different ranges*. If the sensors are gone, it has to be replaced, same with SPG's

Back
Top Bottom