Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel sorry for that nice lady that used to work for him.

She spent an entire phone call with me apologizing for what I had just been subjected to.

If you could get past his attitude, you sure could learn a lot from his posts. And his gear was really good. He had obviously spent a ton of time thinking about every detail.

I am yet to meet a really top shelf craftsman with exceptional people skills. Judging by Tobin's gear and his posts he had a real attention to detail and quite extensive machining experience, and he backed himself, every time. :wink:
I work in a similar industry to Tobin and the best tradesmen usually don't tolerate people they deem as idiots/hold lesser knowledge. The really good sales guys are a lot smoother but usually not as skilled in the trade.
My DSS gear is still like the day I bought it :)

I am yet to meet a really top shelf craftsman with exceptional people skills.
You must have met my great-uncle Norman :). This also certainly fits the greatest craftsman I have known, gunsmith Jim Boland. But like most of these folks, everything was fine as long as he felt that you were not wasting his time.

It does seem to be the rule, rather than the exception. But it makes it all the nicer to meet, in life or online, those exceptions. On this forum, Eric Sedletzky comes immediately to mind.

You must have met my great-uncle Norman :). This also certainly fits the greatest craftsman I have known, gunsmith Jim Boland. But like most of these folks, everything was fine as long as he felt that you were not wasting his time.

It does seem to be the rule, rather than the exception. But it makes it all the nicer to meet, in life or online, those exceptions. On this forum, Eric Sedletzky comes immediately to mind.

I definitely agree, I am yet to meet every person in this world and can only speak from my little experience.

Any word yea or nay regarding Tobin or the future of DSS? Last I heard he had escaped the evil of California for free living Nevada. Then nothing. I've seen no posts from him since 2018. Anybody know anything more dispositive?

I bought great kit from Tobin. Maybe he has taken up fine woodworking and living in the forest??
Wishing him the best.

I was at a dive show this week here in Bangkok, thought about putting my DSS rig to rest for one of those fancy new kits....just couldn't do it, its been with me so long and works so well I'm not even sure it would have been an upgrade.

How much longer do I have to wait to post my vintage DSS Vyper and SK7 mounts up for sale? Are they worth enough to cover a new scooter or should I wait a few more years?

I bought great kit from Tobin. Maybe he has taken up fine woodworking and living in the forest??
Wishing him the best.

I don't feel so sanguine as this. Had I known he was going out of business after claiming he was only moving, no way I would have bought my plate and wing from him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom