Should we go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, all dive boats in Bermuda are designed to carry more than ten, with average between 15-20. The good news is that if you come earlier in the season you will may only get ten or even less divers on the boat, but it just depends on the luck of the draw.

lazyturtle:
Care to elaborate on the cattle boat statement?

The BWD boat that were were on had space for 20+ divers. On that April day we were probably 15 or so. Obviously closer to peak season a full boat is more likely.

It was a lot of the rush, rush, rush. Like we have to get the boat back so be ready to splash as soon as we tie of on the buoy. As someone who is motion sensitive messing with my gear while going full tilt over the waves is not my cup of tea. Fortunately I had most of it ready before we departed.

I'm learning that this is pretty much SOP for all but private charters so maybe it's just for me.

Other than that as I said they set the return time and buddy teams were free to go as they pleased.

Otherwise the crew were all helpful and gentlemen.

Pete

I have been to Bermuda many times over the years (from back when when I went with my parents). Lately, my sister and I bring our families in August for a few days (easy flight to NY and back).
I love the island, but not as a dive vacation. I did use Blue water divers out of Southhamptom and it was fine- no cattleboat.
Here are the cons based on how you described yourselves.
1) I was cold with a 3m and the next year wore a 5/3 with a hood. Much better. But you will need a lot of lead. Also the water is "salty" and therefore one is more boyant.
2) marine life has very little variety- well I am comparing it to other warm water destinations. Lots of parrot fish and angels.
3) wrecks are really pieces of wood here and there. Not much that resembles a ship.
4) costly dives.
I stay at the Pompano Beach club and they drop you up and pick you up. Love it there. Check out the website. Great place for families.
In all I like Bermuda as a quick short vacation. Next time I would not bother to dive. I saw a lot snorkeing with my younger daughter.
BTW I am basically a cold water diver= dry suit, North East wrecks. But I love the Caribbean for easy diving and abundance and diversity of Marine life.
Go- I just don't want you to be dissapointed.

Fort Lauderdale has some amazing wreck diving and the water is very Caribbean ( flat, blue & warm) If you are making an east coast it is worth a few days. Please email for additional info.

Cheers,

Jillian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom