Question Should OC and CC divers respect the same limits for breathing gas densities at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Bernie_U

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This posting in fact addresses two interlinked questions:
  1. Is there scientific evidence that the limit for breathing gas densities at depth (commonly 6.2 g/l) is the same for OC and CC diving?
  2. Is the work of breathing (WOB) the predominant factor that sets this limit?
Background of my question(s):
The often cited article "Respiratory Physiology of Rebreather Diving" was published in the conference proceedings "Rebreathers and Scientific Diving" (2016). As the title and the conference suggest, this article was written about closed-circuit diving. Based on a series of rebreather test dives, the authors recommend to keep the gas density of the breathing gas below 5.2 gram per liter at depth. Further, they set the hard limit at 6.2 gram per liter.
I consider this article as scientific evidence in the sense of my first question (see above), although one might criticize the small sample size. But again, that article refers only to CC diving, there is no statement regarding OC diving.

However, these limits (5.2 and 6.2 g/L respectively) have been picked up by many and became widely adopted by SCUBA training agencies, dive computer manufacturers and other for both CC and OC diving. There are many articles published in dive magazines or online, in which the authors claim the general validity of the limits for both CC and OC diving. All articles I have read so far refer to the original article "Respiratory Physiology of Rebreather Diving". I don't consider these articles as scientific evidence, because the authors are neither scientists in that area, nor do they provide new knowledge or data. These magazines are secondary or tertiary literature.
Here are some examples:​

Now, I move over to the second question and explain the link between my two questions.

On page 68 of "Respiratory Physiology of Rebreather Diving", the authors state​
"... but a significant contribution to the process occurs because of the increase in the work of breathing that occurs during diving",​
followed by more than one page about what is affecting the WOB.​
If WOB set the limits, then I would expect a limit on the WOB and thus different recommendations for maximum gas densities for CC divers and OC divers. As for modern regulators, the WOB is around 0.8 Joule per liter at testing conditions, compared to 1.8 Joule per liter of a rebreather (JJ or X-CCR). OC divers have a lower WOB base level, thus more capacity reserves to the maximum tolerable WOB. Following the thoughts of the authors, one would expect different gas density limits for CC and OC diving. I am not the first person who stumbled upon this, the question has already been touched on SB. But the forum members who wrote that they knew an article about gas density and OC did not provide the link to it.​

I already did some Google search on my own, but the most promising scientific articles are behind the pay-wall. Don't get me wrong: I would buy a copy if I had the certainty to find the answer in there. On the other hand, the authors of "Respiratory Physiology of Rebreather Diving" probably would have mentioned any source published earlier than 2016.

Is anyone aware of a scientific article (primary literature only) on the critical breathing gas density explicitly for open circuit diving?

You have to exhale to vent CO2. OC does blow gas in for you, but it doesn't suck it out.

I'm a freediver, even now when I'm out of shape I have very good breath control, co2 tolerance and respiratory volume.
On open circuit I can easily work hard at 60m on air.
On CCR the first time I tried dredging at 40m I almost died, it's a completely different world. Even for rec dives I prefer a shot of helium when I go bellow 35-40.

So overcoming cracking pressure is nothing, and then with that corresponding continual flow of air
compared to that bloody can be labourious slow warm using all your lungs to suck though the loop

Exhaling has some help from the pressure surrounding you except for pressure on the counterlungs

Lung and counterlung position dependent

Perhaps relevant. (It was good but I don't plan to watch it again to see whether he differentiated between OC and RB.)

Wouldn't your diaphragm do this automatically?

Have you ever breathed?

Seriously: your diaphragm is a muscle that has to do the Work Of Breathing in question Maybe half as much on OC, compared to CC, but it's still WOB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom