Should I Sleep Over In Male Airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've planned our trip in Nov & we found out from the internet that there are some resorts that provides night tranfers. So for people planning their trips there on their own, do check out if the resort provides night transfers if u're arriving in Male on a night flight!

four engines

would recommend to use airport hotel. its a nice clean place with pool, pub and not overly expensive.

as far as i remember it is operated by singapore air. try to book via them.

from where are you flying in? comming from europe i would choose an other airline which arrives in the morning. comming from asia i do not have any information.

enjoy your stay

swisstrav

Hi FE,

A couple of recommendations :

1. Stay at the Hulhule Island Hotel. That's the one on the same island as the airport. Here's the link, you can write them for rates which vary greatly depending on the season.

http://www.hih.com.mv/

2. Catch a dhoni to the city (USD 1 per pax). They run every 15 minutes. Hotels are much cheaper there. You can try the Kam Hotel, Relax Inn or Nasundhara Palace. They are very basic.

My recommendation? Stay at the Hulhule Island Hotel. The resort rep can arrange to pick you up from there. Additionally, resorts will have widely different times for transfer so you need to sort this out with them beforehand.

Good luck!

Hi

I think I remember seeing an airport hotel (or two) on the airport island itself, so that you wouldn’t have to transfer to Malé itself, and can get a transfer to your hotel in the morning feeling refreshed.
Alternatively, there are some very nice and comfy bamboo chaise lounges at the Maldivian Air Taxi terminal lounge (You transfer terminals by mini bus). You can actually lye down on them completely horizontally. They have a pretty thick mattresses, which are about as wide a single bed. The tropical lounge is open air with a sandy floor, half walls and a closed roof with large fans. The only thing is that you might not be allowed to sleep there over night. The terminal might even be closed because the pilots fly primarily by sight, and it will be dark when you arrive. You can enquire with the barefoot pilot’s association at mat@mat.com.mv, http://www.mataxi.com/
Another alternative is to enquire about hiring a boat from the airport to take you to your island. This may be possible if your island is located in North Malé atoll and isn’t not too far from the airport.

Good luck

Sylvie

That sleeping in airports link is great. Found this for Malehttp://www.sleepinginairports.net/africa/male.htm Certainly a few listed where you don't want to be caught at night.

I agree that you would not have to worry much about getting robbed (its one of those cut off the hand of thieves countries). It is easy to get into town on the water taxis but you would have to schlep your bags around to and from and Malé itself is crowded, hectic, and generally unpleasant. I think that you would get a sympathetic ear to having "just missed" your pickup to the resort if questioned while hanging out. Also, it always helps to make it look like you are not there to sleep but just dozed off while reading. So, I think most would say it won't hurt anything to try. Then, send an update to the sleeping in arports site with your experience. :snore:

Thank everyone. I just returned from Maldives. I must admit that I chickened out and opted to stay at the airport hotel instead.

If the room rate of USD 180 or so is not a turn off, I'd encourage anyone who has a night to kill, to stay there. It's "A" for convenience. The hotel is less than 5 minutes by van from the airport. Of course, the hotel provides pickup to and from the airport.

The hotel deserves a 3-star rating. Not really upmarket but just simple and clean. As for the cut-throat room rate, I think you may get a lower price if you were to go through your travel agent.

Just a note, for those with roaming phones, you can receive SMSes, but you can't send them. I only found this out when I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom