Should I rent? Beginner on First Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

Going on my first liveaboard (Peter Hughes Belize) in three weeks. I am super excited. I am still a very new diver (under 20 OW dives) and will also be traveling alone, FWIW. I want to take some pictures obviously and originally was thinking about picking up some disposable UW water proof camers from my dive shop here but I know their quality isnt the greatest.

Peter Hughes says I can rent this camera -- Olympus Stylus 1030 10.1 megapixel with Ikelite. Anyone familiar with this? Is it easy to use? Is it easy to carry around? What about quality? I don't need world class photos but I'm thinking it might be better to have some pictures that have a better shot to come out than the ones from a disposable. I am also trying to keep down my costs and this would be a $100 rental.

I'd probably splurge and rent to as long as its easy to use and not cumbersome underwater.

What would you do?

I am still a very new diver (under 20 OW dives)

I wouldn't attempt UW photography until you have more UW experience.

I would bring a USB flash drive and befriend the other photographers onboard (there will probably be quite a few) and ask them if they can share some of their photos with you. :)

Onewolf is right. concentrate on the diving and enjoy your trip. A liveaboard with consecutive days of diving is just the thing to sharpen those OW skills.

If you already have a P&S camera. there might be a housing that is available for it. Not tto much of a burden really. In the end you will end up with photos of other divers. Photographers seldom have photos of themselves ; )

The USB Drive is the best way to get photos of yourself. Of course buy the camera toting divers a beer and your sure to have some photos for your facebook!

Same as other posts.

As a new diver forget the camera and enjoy the dive.

If you encounter currents a camera is NOT easy to use or to carry.

Buy a video/photos from the boat or as Onewolf suggested bring a USB stick and beg some photos.

There will most likely be a photo pro on the Peter Hughes boat; someone who knows UW photography. Ask him/her to assess your skills and figure out if you are ready to take a camera underwater. Ask on the boat if you can rent the camera for a single dive and that you don't want/need it for the whole week. If the photo pro thinks you are up for it, take a lesson and rent the camera for a day. See what you get and what you like.

I mostly agree with the other posters that cameras and beginners don't mix but not all beginners are created equal and you may be ready to shoot some pics. Make sure that you take a camera for the topside stuff, that is something many people don't do enough of.

Bill

I have to agree with Bill. I've seen brand new divers with excellent buoyancy skills. I wasn't familiar with this camera and housing and looked it up. It says it weighs 1 lb on land and is neutral uw so I don't think it would cause as much task overloading than if you were diving with a dSLR and 2 stobes. If it has an uw setting, all you do is point and shoot. All you want are some snap shots. You're not looking to win an uw photo contest so I don't think you'll try to get close ups and interesting angles and compositions

So if I were you, I would dive a couple of dives without it to get your jitters under control and you feel comfortable, and then give it a whirl for one dive if they let you. Just make sure they have some kind of tether you can attach to your BC because if you let it go, it's buh bye, even with a lanyard on your wrist. Can't trust those things I've learned.:wink:

Edited to add:

I just re-read your initial post and it says an Ikelite housing. I have no idea how big that will be or how much it weights. The 1 lb was for the Olympus housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom