Should I pack my DSLR in it's U/W case and fly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brookieman10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Oly 620 + Oly PT-E06 case and Athena 100mm port
I need to fit everything into my carry-on for a trip. I would not have enough space unless I "fill" the case +/- the port with the camera and lens.

I'm thinking I will pull the the o-rings to avoid any pressure problems but would the assembled rig be at risk of breaking or should I break everything down and put the U/W housing in my checked bags ?

Thank you

Yes you can, but do not use the o-rings for air travel.

Why remove the o-rings? Not like the case will explode :)

No, but housings are designed to work with the pressure on the other way around.
If storing the housing with the user-replaceable o-rings in place is undesirable (due to o-ring deformation), taking them on a place with an inverted pressure differential is less desirable.
Small details that make the difference, uwphoto is full of them.

If no argument helps you, above all, it is unnecessary.

You are correct, however....
Housing are not designed to seal negative pressure, so they will leak air out as the plane gains altitude. But when the plane descends it will seal against the now positive pressure. Which will make it VERY hard to open the housing back at sea level. So hard you may need a screw drive to pry the housing open, most likely damaging it.

If your carrying on you can do this. I would never check it.
I prefer carrying my stuff all separate in its own packing.

I fly with all of my photo gear in a carry on. Two trips in a row now my baggage has been delayed by a week. I pack my carry on as if my checked in luggage isn't going to arrive. I can hire dive gear easily enough, not camera stuff.

You can leave the o-rings in place if you are going to remove the port, otherwise as suggested remove them. I had a heck of a time opening one of my housings when I left them in - it doesn't take much negative presure to seal the housing.

I leave my housing (Ikelite) in several parts shielded by my clothes in checked baggage. I have had that negative pressure stick the pieces together but there was no damage when I pulled it apart (by hand). And yes they usually check to see what the heck is in that luggage that looks so strange on their x-ray machine.

Back
Top Bottom