Should I not use my new gear in upcoming Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Should I use the gear from the LDS for my OW class in the pool? I really don't want to expose my new gear to clorine? I know I would rinse it well but just wanted to get some feedback.

The few dives you do in a pool will not be detremental to your gear. Even when you rinse your gear in "fresh" water you are rinsing it in water that has been chlorinated, although not to the extent to that of a pool.

The salt in the sea water that you will be diving will be far more detremental than the pool, especiall if you don't rinse your gear properly.

And another aspect is that, while you are doing your confined water work, you will become much more accustomed to your gear so when you take your open water dives you will be better acquainted with the gear and much more comfortable.

Diehl:
Should I use the gear from the LDS for my OW class in the pool? I really don't want to expose my new gear to clorine? I know I would rinse it well but just wanted to get some feedback.
Absolutely, Dive you own gear. So you can get used to it.

Yes, dive with your own gear. Your air dumps could be in a different place and after getting used to the rentals and reach for a dump, you could be moving to the wrong place when using your own gear. I love cleaning my stuff after diving - it is part of the activity and something to be looked upon with enthusiasm. This gear is keeping you alive underwater - remember that when you spend the many hours cleaning it. :) Happy diving and welcome to the sport!

I agree also. Dive you own gear. One advantage is if you have a question about your gear, or if you have a problem with your gear, you instructor may be able to help you.

Diehl:
I strongly encourage it. That way you can become proficient and comfortable in the gear that you are going to use in your own diving. Chloriene really only starts to damage gear after a few dozen times in IF it is rinsed correctly. Just make sure when you get out of the water you rinse it well in warm water.

Thanks alot guys :wink: I am using the Aqualung Titan LX and my computer is the Gekko with console. What is the best way to clean these items? Is there something better then just rinsing them?

Diehl:
Thanks alot guys :wink: I am using the Aqualung Titan LX and my computer is the Gekko with console. What is the best way to clean these items? Is there something better then just rinsing them?
dunking in fesh water, or with a little Myrazyme soultion is best. remember to always have your dust cap on place if dunking or you will trash out your 1st stage.

The Kracken:
The salt in the sea water that you will be diving will be far more detremental than the pool, especiall if you don't rinse your gear properly.

Actually I disagree. As someone whose job it was to maintain the family swimming pool, chlorinated pool water (often OVER-chlorinated in the case of public pools) is in my opinion much worse than seawater.

Everybody knows what happens when you spill undiluted chlorine bleach (which isn't all that different from the chlorine used in pools) on fabrics; it not only discolors the fabric, but if left long enough it will actually eat a hole in it.

Those who are fair-haired I'm sure are familiar with the "green hair syndrome" caused by the chlorine in swimming pool water.

As far as I can tell the worst thing that seawater can do to your equipment is corrode the metal parts. Chlorine does the same thing too (just look at any pickup truck used by a pool cleaning service) but it will also attack man-made materials like nylon as well.

I agree with the rest of your statement though. The benefit of being able to practice with your new equipment in the pool far outweighs the possible risk of damage from a few pool sessions, particularly if the equipment is well rinsed afterward.

Use it, but clean it well(after every dive). It will be a great way to really get use to your new stuff. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom