Should I get re-certified since I originally got my C-card in 1986?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't dive for 8 years after getting certified, then after that trip I didn't dive for 16 years. This year I got back into diving and have logged about 10 dives. Am I missing anything if I just keep getting my diving experience in the water? Should I consider getting re-certified?

I don't necessarily believe that you need to be re-certified. It largely depends upon you, the people you dive with and the type of diving that you are wanting to do. Perhaps a refresher is in order; only you can ascertain if you feel that this is necessary. After 10 dives this year, you should be relatively comfortable underwater. Once you feel you're ready to move on, you might consider moving up to the next training level. You don't require further training to make yourself updated with the latest in technology (although it isn't a requirement that you employ it). :)

Last edited:
I didn't dive for 8 years after getting certified, then after that trip I didn't dive for 16 years. This year I got back into diving and have logged about 10 dives. Am I missing anything if I just keep getting my diving experience in the water? Should I consider getting re-certified?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Scuba Skills Update or a refresher class would help sharpen the edges.

Safe Diving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cindy,

If you are interested in getting a refresher from basically the same system as the YMCA course you took in the '80s, then you should look into SCUBA Educators International. SEI Diving Home Page
This agency is the results of the Y program after YMCA divested itself if SCUBA instruction. You should be able to find an instructor near you.

You are correct. I missed the part where she told us she was diving drunk. My mistake. Certainly a refresher course and perhaps a 12-step program are called for.

She wasnt, read the OP before responding my friend.

She wasnt, read the OP before responding my friend.
It was posted as a response to one of my posts.. A post with a point that flew WAY over his head..

This has given me several items to follow up on. I obviously came to the right place with my question. Thanks again to all who responded!

This has given me several items to follow up on. I obviously came to the right place with my question. Thanks again to all who responded!

And one more.....I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as you and several others who responded. I was first certified through the YMCA in 1971, and didn't really dive that much over the years, although I did go on a boat dive in the early 90s on Grand Cayman, and that went very well.

But when I decided recently to get re-involved, I made the decision to do the full PADI OW course. Back when I was originally certified, equipment was very primitive by today's standards. There were no BCDs, no dive computers, and my depth gauge was a round Bourdon tube (clear plastic tube open on one end) on a little plastic wrist strap. The decision to re-take the course was a no-brainer. I rediscovered all the basic theory, and had the chance to practice using the new equipment in controlled settings.

I'll be doing the Nitrox cert course day after tomorrow, and already have the AOW materials for that soon afterward.

Safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom