Should I get re-certified since I originally got my C-card in 1986?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindycycle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I didn't dive for 8 years after getting certified, then after that trip I didn't dive for 16 years. This year I got back into diving and have logged about 10 dives. Am I missing anything if I just keep getting my diving experience in the water? Should I consider getting re-certified?

Thanks for any suggestions.

That question is really best answered by yourself.
Do you still know the theory well or has it been forgotten? Do you still have the books and are able to refresh the knowlege on your own?

If you dont have the books and have forgotten the theory, Id say it can hardly HURT to redo it anyways..

You can take a Refresher Course with the same agency that you were origionally certified; or, you can start over by getting Open Water Certified with a different agency.

You certainly won't hurt yourself by re-certifying, but all you may really need is a good refresher course. A few years back I took a PADI AOW course, not really to "re-certify", but just because I wanted to hone my skills a bit more. My '70 cert is still quite valid, but equipment and ideas of what works best change over time. Having said that, I like occasionally taking a class, just to sharpen my existing skill base, and recently took some GUE training for that very reason.

I feel that if I stop learning anew, I risk stopping growing, and risk becoming stagnant.

Moonglow - I guess I would have to go with a different agency since I got YMCA certification originally. Do you have a recommendation on a certification agency?

Tigerman - thanks. I don't have the books or any other materials, and I have forgotten everything except "just keep breathing." Sounds like I should consider a refresher...

agree on the refresher course, the theory's the same.....with emphasis on ascending S-L-O-W-L-Y compared to 25 years+ ago..........

The refresher might be a bit more basic than what you want if "keep breathing" is the extent of the knowledge you can remember. Personally if I had forgotten that much (and not dived in that long) Id just take a quick recertification by one of the larger, well known agencies like CMAS, PADI, NAUI, SDI or possibly GUE..

I wanted to get trained by a Course Director and NAUI is the agency affiliation for The Dive Shop (1911 Ranch Road 12).

Be sure to interview possible instructors in person, you will find wide differences in personality and teaching methods. You can also get certified in Austin (NAUI, Oak Hill; PADI, Scubaworld; SSI, Tom's Dive) and San Antonio (NAUI, Duggan; PADI, Dive World).

I didn't dive for 8 years after getting certified, then after that trip I didn't dive for 16 years. This year I got back into diving and have logged about 10 dives. Am I missing anything if I just keep getting my diving experience in the water? Should I consider getting re-certified?

Thanks for any suggestions.
You've logged 10 dives this year? Then you don't need a refresher course. Keep the dives easy for a while, dive with a competent buddy, maybe read the Scubaboard if you have time to waste, and use your refresher-course time and money to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom