should i get D4i or D6i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to upgrade my DC and I am not sure which to get. D4i or D6i.
why D6i is in my list, as it is steel casing and it does have deco and mandatory deepstop if you exceeded your NDL.

Does D4i has this function for the mandatory deepstop? if it has, then I think it has made my decision easier. The only minus the watch casing is not made of steel and when it get scratched, it will look ugly. also the dirt will stay on the watch...

I am not very keen in the digital compass, as I do have a compass with me.

Do both of these have user replaceable batteries? I have a feeling the D6i does not (possibly both), that would be a deciding factor for me.

Do both of these have user replaceable batteries? I have a feeling the D6i does not (possibly both), that would be a deciding factor for me.

both are not. but i went through youtube, you can also change the batteries yourself, but it will void your warranty.

If you are planning to spend that kind of money, there are other brands that I feel are better. I have a Suunto D6 and a Petrel. To me, the Petrel is a much better computer that can grow with you.

If you are planning to spend that kind of money, there are other brands that I feel are better.

I bought a D6i, it was part of a "package deal" when I first bought my kit from my local LDS. My instructor wore a D9i, so I thought, why not?

1. Within 40 dives I changed the wrist strap due due to an imminent failure. I did not replace it with a Sunnto strap, overpriced as they were.
2. I worked out that it was not an easy battery change compared to other computers, voided warranty if I did it myself, needs to go to a dealer, etc.
3. At approximately 50 dives mode button stopped working. I was in the middle of a nitrox course and I couldn't change to nitrox mode, and guess what? It had to go to a dealer to be repaired.
4. I have downloaded the suunto software onto my mac, multiple times (updates), sometimes it worked as it should, sometimes it wouldn't. eg http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/suunto/500557-dm5.html?highlight=DM4 Possibly because I use mac, not Windows I am not sure.
5. I got a "free" transmitter when I bought my package deal. I loved it! I really appreciated having my tank pressure on my "watch". I never had issues with it not connecting as other users have. Dive 43, I wouldn't pair with the dive computer. Too late I am geared up on the back of a dive charter. I jumped! Had a great dive, figuring I will sort it out later. Couldn't sort it out. Sent the transmitter to dealer. It's flooded! Only 43 dives. No problem, like i said I really liked the feature. I bought a new transmitter. Flooded first dive! Dealer said I needed to buy another one! Excuse me? To cut a long story short I got a new transmitter, but at this stage it is untested! SPG will do for me, if they want to play these games.

70 dives into my career I have had enough. I have just pulled the trigger on a Petrel 2, apparently a dive computer far more advanced than what I need at a recreational level. However, considering that I can change the battery (that I can buy at a corner store) myself. The price difference? I'll let you google that. :wink:

Yeah - for that kind of money, get the petrel, I switched from a Suunto Vyper Air to a petrel and its night and day the difference (and cheaper). I use it only for rec diving.

I bought a D6i, it was part of a "package deal" when I first bought my kit from my local LDS. My instructor wore a D9i, so I thought, why not?

1. Within 40 dives I changed the wrist strap due due to an imminent failure. I did not replace it with a Sunnto strap, overpriced as they were.
2. I worked out that it was not an easy battery change compared to other computers, voided warranty if I did it myself, needs to go to a dealer, etc.
3. At approximately 50 dives mode button stopped working. I was in the middle of a nitrox course and I couldn't change to nitrox mode, and guess what? It had to go to a dealer to be repaired.
4. I have downloaded the suunto software onto my mac, multiple times (updates), sometimes it worked as it should, sometimes it wouldn't. eg http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/suunto/500557-dm5.html?highlight=DM4 Possibly because I use mac, not Windows I am not sure.
5. I got a "free" transmitter when I bought my package deal. I loved it! I really appreciated having my tank pressure on my "watch". I never had issues with it not connecting as other users have. Dive 43, I wouldn't pair with the dive computer. Too late I am geared up on the back of a dive charter. I jumped! Had a great dive, figuring I will sort it out later. Couldn't sort it out. Sent the transmitter to dealer. It's flooded! Only 43 dives. No problem, like i said I really liked the feature. I bought a new transmitter. Flooded first dive! Dealer said I needed to buy another one! Excuse me? To cut a long story short I got a new transmitter, but at this stage it is untested! SPG will do for me, if they want to play these games.

70 dives into my career I have had enough. I have just pulled the trigger on a Petrel 2, apparently a dive computer far more advanced than what I need at a recreational level. However, considering that I can change the battery (that I can buy at a corner store) myself. The price difference? I'll let you google that. :wink:

So much complain??!?!?!

I had 150 dives with my zoop and it is still kicking hard after one cycle of battery replacement.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 11:54 PM ----------

But petrel does not have AI function right? Kind of like to try that feature.

Hi,
for D4i and D6i the deep stops are working in the same way and both require a professional battery change.
Sorry to hear about the issues with the strap and the transmitter. We had some quality issues with the straps indeed, which is one of the reasons why we're currently switching to silicone straps for the D-Series. Flooding of the transmitter is a pretty rare thing, mostly after improper battery changes; here obviously not the case! I therefore do understand the frustration. I think the petrel is whole different thing and hard to compare with watch-sized computers. Our big-display units have user-replaceable batteries too, although the procedure is not as easy as for the petrel, true. Watch-computers are pretty close to watches when it come to battery changes and should undergo proper pressure tests after that. We are working on improving the infrastructure to ease this process.

br, Hendrik

Hi,
for D4i and D6i the deep stops are working in the same way and both require a professional battery change.
Sorry to hear about the issues with the strap and the transmitter. We had some quality issues with the straps indeed, which is one of the reasons why we're currently switching to silicone straps for the D-Series. Flooding of the transmitter is a pretty rare thing, mostly after improper battery changes; here obviously not the case! I therefore do understand the frustration. I think the petrel is whole different thing and hard to compare with watch-sized computers. Our big-display units have user-replaceable batteries too, although the procedure is not as easy as for the petrel, true. Watch-computers are pretty close to watches when it come to battery changes and should undergo proper pressure tests after that. We are working on improving the infrastructure to ease this process.

br, Hendrik

Hendrik,
how about the failure of the buttons after he had dive for 50 dives? is that a common issue also?

Neither. I just paid ~$120 to get the batteries in the d6i and the transmitter replaced (which I will never do again), and now I can't get the transmitter to talk to the computer.

I should have got a Petrel or something.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

So much complain??!?!?!

I had 150 dives with my zoop and it is still kicking hard after one cycle of battery replacement.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 11:54 PM ----------

But petrel does not have AI function right? Kind of like to try that feature.

Zoops are solid.

AI would be great, because you can easily calculate SAC rates, but it's unreliable. You're going to need an SPG anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom