should i get a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Wackodacko,

I like your user name, very descriptive.

Here is an example of a Sea Star photo ( not mine ) taken with natural light ( the green fringe area ) and a couple of Video Lights ( bright, but not a strobe ).

Here is the same critter taken with good strobes.

Notice the Colors, depth and the shadows aren't too bad. Strobes are like sunlight, and bring out the true colors of the object you are illuminating. They really are important for crisp, clear underwater photography.

couldnt have heard a better explanation!
thanks!!

wackodacko <--hey..it rhymes and i dont get things like "sorry that username is already taken" hehe!

No question you need a strobe. Another question may be do you need an external strobe vs. the camera's own internal strobe. This question (at least in my mind) is open for debate. I believe at least my camera does a good job with just the internal strobe.

The classic reason for an external strobe is backscatter (particules in the water) issues with the strobe being to close to the lens.

My camera does a good job with just the internal flash, but it I would have more color saturation and less back scatter if I had a strobe. I just got back from Coco's Island and my pictures turned out much better than I had expected with just the internal flash. I can only amagine how they would have looked with a good external strobe.

I think that it also depends on what camera and housing you are using. If the housing is a clear housing then you should get a better dispursion of light using the internal flash than you would if you had a housing that was made made of something opaque.

What kind of camera and housing are you using?

Hope this helps
Wreck Ranger

The first photo example in my post above were taken with the same outfit you are going to buy ( C5050Z in PT-015 housing ).

If you are going to be taking pictures in Cold Water, you definitely need the strobe. If you just want to take warm water snap shots, the internal strobe may be sufficient.

The second photo in my post above were taken with an old C3030Z, but were using a pair of Nikonos Strobes. Both photos are from Puget Sound.

i just bought the oly c5050 and the pt015. the housing is so cool. anyway, i think that whether to get a strobe or not depends on the type of diving you do. if you do 20 ft shore dives in the carribean at noon, you probable wonmt need one. but if you do 110 shipwreck dives or night dives then obviously you'd need one.

zaf88 once bubbled...
i just bought the oly c5050 and the pt015. the housing is so cool. anyway, i think that whether to get a strobe or not depends on the type of diving you do. if you do 20 ft shore dives in the carribean at noon, you probable wonmt need one. but if you do 110 shipwreck dives or night dives then obviously you'd need one.

I was diving in the Red Sea in January with a guy who had a strobe, no matter which depth we were at his shots came out better, better being colours. I had good shots but not the colour definition he had even at shallow depths. GET A STROBE you will not regret it :)

Back
Top Bottom