Should I buy an Air 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have recently been looking for a new octo. I found the SP Air2 at an LDS. I really like the idea of one less hose. I've heard conflicting opinions on this ranging from loving it to not giving it to your worst enemy. I just wanted to know what the board thinks about it.

pcscuba once bubbled...
I have recently been looking for a new octo. I found the SP Air2 at an LDS. I really like the idea of one less hose. I've heard conflicting opinions on this ranging from loving it to not giving it to your worst enemy. I just wanted to know what the board thinks about it.
...but that's just the board's opinion.. :D

If you do a search on air2, and then look at the threads that focus on air2, you'll get plenty to consider. This is one of the more recent discussions: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22133&highlight=air2
You have to remember that there is a strong DIR contingent on this board and an air2 is not DIR. I believe I understand the DIR objection to air2s and it is reasonable. So is there objection to solo diving. But I'm going to keep my air2 and keep doing the occasional solo diving. My type of non-DIR diving seems to be well accomodated by my non-DIR pony and air2. But see what they have to say and look at your reasons for what you want to do carefully.

with the Air2.

1. They can be problematic when ascending if sharing air. Not a big deal as it can be done, just needs practice.

2. You need a long inflator hose on your BC to allow you enough room to bend the reg around to use it. Not a good thing IMO.

3. People forget they are regulators and do not care for them properly. Then they freeflow and cause problems. Not a good thing.

I have had a number of Air2s in the past. I have a better system that I use now.

Will they kill you? No.
Are there better alternatives? IMO yes.

But; if O-ring said the board doesn't like them...well...

MD

pcscuba once bubbled...

IMO, Hoses are not at all bad if worn correctly. IMO, your buoyancy control works way better if it isn't in your mouth. Also you can have a nice and neat, streamlined, short inflator hose if you don't need to be able to put it in your mouth and turn you head. For the record I never said I was DIR but I do believe it's important to simplify and mistake proof emergency procedures. Sometimes what seems like a gear configuration simplification(getting rid of a hose) actually comlicates procedures. Since the hose was never a problem did we fix the system or break it?

And that is the best I have to say about the air2.

pcscuba once bubbled...

Well, I’m quite new to all of this myself so what follows comes from the certainty born of a lack of experience. Having said that …

I’ve used both Octo and Air2 and much prefer the former. As you can read in the many regulator discussions, if/when you donate your regulator to a buddy in need (OOA), either your primary or Octo, what you’re left with is all that’s between you and breathing ocean. Even if you’re not in an overhead environment, at 60-100+ ft. down you’ve got a long ways to go. LAO, With an Air2 in active use, everything’s different for you. Your inflator hose is now in your mouth-not where you are used to it. And remember, the reason it’s there is your buddy’s already in trouble so now you’re having to deal with your buddy while working with a strange regulator yourself.

In addition, I’ve never heard of any Air2’s that compare to a first class reg. Heck, there is a debate on this board whether your backup should be the same quality as your primary, let alone and Air2. I also don’t thing the “one less hose” holds water – if you go long primary, short/bungee backup you’ll have that hose out of the way. If you really want to get rid of a hose, go with an airless computer (thought that’s very not DIR).

And then there is the most important reason not to do it ….

O-ring said … the board said so …

~ P <//><

Interesting discussion.
I dive with an AP Valves Autoair on my Buddy Commando BCD. It's a ruggedly built alternate inflator/alternate deflator/alternate regulator
(click on the auto-air link) attached via corrugated hose to the stab which allows me to breathe from the dive cylinder or, failing that, from the stab or, failing that, from the mini-cylinder attached to the stab.
I have used it in anger on only one occasion, when my own (new) primary reg malfunctioned at 30+ metres and it served perfectly.
Breathing from it at this depth was no more difficult from breathing from my ATX 200, and buoyancy was controlled via my pull dump valves (I never use the Autoair for buoyancy control anyway, since it's not a non-return valve).
Tha Autoair gives me great peace of mind and eliminates the need for an extra hose, though I agree with Mike Ferrara in that I don't think the latter on its own is a particularly good reason for going this route.
Some of my dive club buddies dive Autoair, some dive octo: I don't know that there's a right way and a wrong way. As long as you have a back-up system for emergencies you are comfortable with - and which you know is going to work in an emergency and which your buddy is familiar with - then surely that's what counts?
In relation to MD's points with the Air2 (or any alternate combo):

1. They can be problematic when ascending if sharing air. Not a big deal as it can be done, just needs practice.
You answer this point: practice. Nobody should be diving with octo without practice either, though in both cases they do.

2. You need a long inflator hose on your BC to allow you enough room to bend the reg around to use it. Not a good thing IMO.
All I can tell you is that my inflator hose is no longer than any of my buddies' who dive without Autoair and with octopus. It works in practice OOA air sessions and worked for me in a real-life situation.

3. People forget they are regulators and do not care for them properly. Then they freeflow and cause problems. Not a good thing.
Same thing applies to the octopus option, though I accept that there is probably probably a better chance of octos being serviced at the same time as the primary reg. It comes back to your first point about people's casual attitude to the one piece of kit that could save their lives or the lives of their buddies.

I don't advocate one system over any other. I'm just posting my own experience of this one system.

* edited to add - I should have said that the most important thing in relation to this system is that the Autoair is attached to both the dive cylinder and a completely redundant mini-cylinder supply, both at the same time. An octopus would not give me this option without carrying a pony cylinder. I'm not saying the jack-booted scuba police should force everyone to dive this way, just that this system has real benefits.

:eek:ut:

Irishdiver once bubbled...
Interesting discussion.

All I can tell you is that my inflator hose is no longer than any of my buddies' who dive without Autoair and with octopus. It works in practice OOA air sessions and worked for me in a real-life situation.

Good post.

My point on the inflator hose was an Air2 or similiar needs a longer hose than is supplied on...ahh...non-BC type buoyancy things ( I would have said "wings" but someone would have complained :) )

MD

pcscuba once bubbled...

Well... there's a thread going out there about worst things an LDS talked me into.....

I guess I would have to put Air2 on that list...

just my 2 cents worth...

MechDiver once bubbled...
with the Air2.

I have had a number of Air2s in the past. I have a better system that I use now.

Will they kill you? No.
Are there better alternatives? IMO yes.

But; if O-ring said the board doesn't like them...well...

MD

MechDiver are you saying that you would donate the Air 2 to the OOA diver? It almost sounds like that's what your saying.

Mike Ferrara are you saying that Air 2 is harder to ascend with?

For both of these points I completely disagree. The key is remembering each year when you have your regs serviced you must of course have the Air 2 serviced as well. But here you have a solution within 8 inches of your face, it bends just fine, and having practiced a number of times with alternate air source ascent with student divers I can tell you that the pull dump on it works just fine WHILE THE AIR 2 is in your mouth acting as a regulator.

So I put the question to everyone here - why is Air 2 not DIR? If your primary still has a long hose and you still donate the primary, and the secondary is right there just below your jaw line, and readily available for use, and perfectly functional and comfortable ... I don't get it? It can never get yanked behind me, it can never be pulled to strangle me in any way. I don't get it at all.

This just looks like another one of those stuck in the past things like using a modern dive computer. Sure if you base your arguments on dive computers manufactured 12-15 years ago, I wouldn't blame you. But take the Cochran Gemini Plus. You have redundant everything almost. It is so rare to have a failure. Or my Cobra that has never had a problem at all. Just rock solid, totally reliable. And the stories I've heard from other users is that they have never had a failure and they've never heard of one!

And just like recommending all that other redundancy (doubles, manifolds, pocket tools, mask, bolts etc, etc) why is a computer or an Air 2 any different. The technology is changing and improving, and is far, far more reliable than the comparisons of antiquity. I really feel strongly on this point ... "Get with the times".

BTW I have "Air Source" I prefer the SeaQuest Air Source vs. the Air 2 from ScubaPro but it's just over semantics, devil in the details and all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom