Should I buy a housing for current camera or buy a whole new set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm no expert, but with a DSLR setup you have to decide before you get in the water whether you will be shooting macro or wide angle, set the camera up accordingly (appropriate lens and port) and then you're pretty much stuck with that setup throughout the dive. While this is fine for experienced photographers that are familiar with the dive site, I think somebody less experienced in UW photography (I include myself in this category) will have a harder time deciding which configuration to go with until they get more experience behind the camera. Since the compact cameras can usually use add on lenses for macro and WA that can be switched underwater I feel that for somebody new to UW photo this may be a better way to go.

just my 2bar

I'm no expert, but with a DSLR setup you have to decide before you get in the water whether you will be shooting macro or wide angle, set the camera up accordingly (appropriate lens and port) and then you're pretty much stuck with that setup throughout the dive. While this is fine for experienced photographers that are familiar with the dive site, I think somebody less experienced in UW photography (I include myself in this category) will have a harder time deciding which configuration to go with until they get more experience behind the camera. Since the compact cameras can usually use add on lenses for macro and WA that can be switched underwater I feel that for somebody new to UW photo this may be a better way to go.

just my 2bar

There are cameras with ports that you can change under water. I had no idea. I will have to look into that. :coffee:

There are cameras with ports that you can change under water. I had no idea. I will have to look into that. :coffee:
Not change ports, but with properly fitted housings (almost only on compact camera housings) you can use add-on lenses that you can swap underwater. They will usually attach by a screw mount (you may have seen reference to 'M67' in other threads - you basically screw them on or off) or via proprietary bayonet mounts (usually between 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and they click in place - like the Inon AD system).

Take a look at the second sticky in the main section. The one by Alcina called "Everything photo... Look here first", IIRC she does go into these a bit.

You can get great pics from the 20D. My belief is that the quality of the pics is mainly correlated to the person taking the pics. I have an Australian friend that still uses an old Olympus 5050 point and shoot and his pictures are amazing. That said, buying a housing is only the first piece of a camera setup. To get the pics you want, you will also need one or two strobes, arms, a stay, and several lenses (wide angle, macro, etc). When you add the costs for these parts for a DSLR system you are talking several thousand dollars.

If you want to reduce your costs, you may want to consider a high end point and shoot system. These systems can be used as point and shoot or in full manual mode. There are several cameras that are recommended on this board. I use the Sea&Sea DX-1G (just bought the DX-2G and am excited about using that on my next trip) and I think it takes good pictures at a fraction of the cost of a DSLR system. You can click on my "photos" link to see some examples. Other cameras that are recommended are the Cannon G series as well as several made by Olympus.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom