Should I buy a housing for current camera or buy a whole new set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs. K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a cannon 20D. I love that camera and have used it for most of my above water pictures for the past 7 yrs. I just returned to scuba and am looking to take some under water pictures. It looks like I can get a housing for this camera for about $1200-1400. But I wonder if I would be better off just getting a new set up with both camera and housing together. It looks like that will actually be cheaper. But will the pictures be better if I stick with my cannon?

I was in the same boat with my cannon. I personally found the cost of the housing prohibitive, especially since I wasn't looking to invest myself into the world of underwater photography at this point. I opted for a cheaper setup. My biggest fear was having a leak at some point and flooding my cannon. I'd rather flood a 200-300$ camera than having to shell out a grand.

My 0.02$. At some point I might splurge for a nicer setup, but my needs are more than met with what I have.

Wow! I now realize that I used "point" way to often in that post. Oops

I was in the same boat with my cannon. I personally found the cost of the housing prohibitive, especially since I wasn't looking to invest myself into the world of underwater photography at this point. I opted for a cheaper setup. My biggest fear was having a leak at some point and flooding my cannon. I'd rather flood a 200-300$ camera than having to shell out a grand.

My 0.02$. At some point I might splurge for a nicer setup, but my needs are more than met with what I have.

What did you end up buying?

If you love your 20D I think you would love even more of the current Canon lineup.

cheers Mark

The thing about the 20D is that I know it can be replaced now for about $300-$400 (since they are up to at least 40D and probably even better yet). So if the camera did flood, it would not break my bank to replace. But do you have a suggestion of a "reasonably" priced lineup. I realize reasonably priced is relative. But I am just looking for opinions. :coffee:

What do you love about your 20D? All the ergonomics change when you house it, so if that is part of its appeal, I would look for a housing you love and a camera to go inside. In my opinion, ease of use is more important underwater, where you might be inverted, in a current, and trying to catch fast-moving action, perhaps with gloves on--not the sort of photography most of us do on land.

Think also about lenses. Do you have what you need, a wide andgle (11mm or so) and a macro (50 to 110mm).
If you are happy with the camera buy a housing. You may be able to find a good second hand housing but remember you still need to buy ports for the lenses you need. So check for availibility/compatibility with your lenses.

I ended up with a nikon coolpix. Camera and housing under $350. Is it great, no. But it suits my needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom