Should I buy a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just started my OW classes this weekend and will be certified by next weekend!! I cant wait! I guess I am also getting the urge to buy gear (maybe a little to soon) but I heard that the first piece of equipment I should buy is a dive computer. Is that something I should start looking at? Is there a good dive computer for me for under $300 or should I just wait it out till I have the $700 to spend on a top of the line model so I wont have to upgrade again before I can even afford my own BCD, reg, etc.? Or is there another piece of equipment I should look into buying first to start of my own dive package? Any info I can get will be very helpful!!

I personally don't think it should be the first thing you buy, but regardless of your preference in that regard I would hold off until the end of your OW class.

In your OW class you will learn how to dive using the "old fashioned" tables, which teach you the principles behind what the computer does and helps you understand why the limits are necessary. Better to learn that stuff BEFORE getting the gadget that does it for you - like when you learned long division (but easier).

I personally would buy a regulator and gauges before I buy anything....rental regs suck!

You can dive without a computer, you can't dive without a regulator, or a BC or BP/W. I'm assuming you have the mask and fins. Wetsuits are nice to have also. Computers are nice, just make sure you aren't using it as a crutch. Might be nice to have some sort of back-up plan incase your computer fails, or in the case of my Suunto, locks you out of diving even though you would be fine to dive with using the tables.

dhampton82:
I just started my OW classes this weekend and will be certified by next weekend!! I cant wait! I guess I am also getting the urge to buy gear (maybe a little to soon) but I heard that the first piece of equipment I should buy is a dive computer. Is that something I should start looking at? Is there a good dive computer for me for under $300 or should I just wait it out till I have the $700 to spend on a top of the line model so I wont have to upgrade again before I can even afford my own BCD, reg, etc.? Or is there another piece of equipment I should look into buying first to start of my own dive package? Any info I can get will be very helpful!!

A computer is definitely useful but IMHO it is not a priority item. I think you should look first at fins, mask, BCD, reg, wetsuit before a computer. If you plan on sticking with diving these are a priority. Your buoyancy depends partly on your gear and if you keep changing your gear configuration by renting them, you are going to have trouble in buoyancy control/propwer weighting. The computer can be bought later once you have become comfortable with diving.

I think I would also go with buying Reg and BC (after Mask/Fins/snorkle) then computer or wet suit depending on where you are located. A computer is really the most useful on dives deeper than 35' so that should also figure into your decision.

Good luck to you and enjoy the rest of your class.

There are some decent computers for under $200 and some really nice ones for under $400. Once you're pushing past that point you're either looking at a wireless unit (another part to break, IMO), paying for the name (or extra LDS profit), or getting features you're a long way from using, if ever (Helium, CCR, et al).

My purchase cycle went like this:

Basics
Wetsuit
Computer
Regs
BC

I refused to use a rental wetsuit, who knows who peed in it. Likewise, after the second time I rented a regulator where a smoker was the last renter, I had to buy my own. I spent a long time deciding on the BC and finally went with a BP/w.

Most importantly, do some soul searching and figure out what you want to do with diving then if at all possible, base your purchases around that so you don't waste money.

:jump: Relax…breath…breath.
Seriously, wait until after you are certified and take some time before getting anything other than the basic stuff you already have like Mask, Fins and Snorkel. Talk with people and visit this board and dive with some folks to see what you like and dislike. It sounds like you don’t have just a ton of money to blow on dive gear so you don’t want to waste what you do spend by impulse buying. Ramsabi is right about the buoyancy thing being so important. The first thing I got after the basics was a Wetsuit because I was sick of basically wearing someone else’s underwear. I mean come on…sometimes they reeked of smoke and sometimes they were ripped and heavens knows what little skin issues someone had while wearing it. Makes me itch to think about it.

Do your first 25 dives without a computer. You'll be far better off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom