Should all instructors really have ALL their own equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There really are two sides to this issue.

In my area, it is very difficult to work as an independent instructor, so almost everyone who is an instructor works with a specific shop. It is expected that you will wear the gear the shop sells. If you are starting from scratch, that is not a problem, because they will generally give you good discounts on your gear. Over the years of working with a dive shop, I amassed a sizable inventory of very good personal equipment purchased through shop discount. When instructing in the pool, I used the same gear as the students, saving me wear and tear on my own equipment. I used my own stuff for the OW dives, though.

Then the shop came up with a new policy. We were no longer allowed to use the rental gear for pool instruction. We had to purchase and use our own gear. Not only that, we had to purchase SPECIFIC gear from head to toe, and we had to tell students that we chose that gear because it was the best. (The truth is that it was the gear that provided the best profit margin.) Not a single piece of that equipment, with the exception of the wet suit, was something that I would otherwise select for my own diving. Not a thing. So that shop and I parted ways.

So I went to another shop, a shop that did not sell anything that I already owned. Not one thing. They have been very good to me, though. I use their rental gear for pool instruction, and they have looked the other way when I have used my current gear for other instruction. They are offering me an excellent discount on new purchases, but that will still come to a hefty sum when I replace everything.

So I can see why in a practical sense a diver who anticipates working for an operator who demands that he or she use the company line would not feel good about buying something that will have to be replaced soon.

On the other hand, I join the others in saying that I can't imagine that anyone wishing to become an instructor does not already own personal gear.

Are you enrolling in one of those programs that takes you all the way from a beginning diver to instructor?

Sorry I have to be this blunt. The OP clearly represents a great portion of what´s really bad with dive instruction today.

When you become a DIVER, you get your own gear. Whatever that might be. More expensive, less expensive, I don´t care.

How can you become an instructor, if you are not even a diver?

Because you probably are the product of some dm/instructor mill, choosing to become a person that teaches, before you can actually do your OWN dives. Anyhow ... the fantastic world of current dive instruction.

Why should an instructor trainer waste time on someone who is not committed enough to.the activity to own their own gear...

I don't know Jim; I don't really care if an Instructor Candidate has his own kit or not. An Instructor teaches. I don't ask him to prove ownership of any of the other tools he uses in the teaching process. "Can you prove to me that you own this data projector? Do you mind showing me a receipt for your training manual? Do you own a vehicle so you can get to the dive site?"...

If you certify an Instructor, there are no check boxes for owning equipment. If you're equipped properly and good to go, that's a given. If you rented or borrowed it, that's not really up to the certification Agency, or the Instructor Trainer Examiner.

If an LDS wants an instructor to use their kit as a condition of employment, that's up to them. If the Instructor finds this acceptable, that's up to him. He can teach and certify without owning a thing.

by the time you are a DM you should already have your own gear. if not, your not a real diver. once you start DMing or teaching every shop is going to want you in there configuration. its part of the business. yes scuba diving is a business. it's about selling the dream and the gear.

you will be required to have a BCD at the least; or more likely BCD, wetsuit and fins on average when in a teaching situation. most shops provide whole sale pricing on equipment to staff so the cost is not that big a deal. if you are going through the IDC and are not currently affiliated with a shop, then good luck.

I would never trust an instructor who didn't have all his own gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wont hire an instructor or DM if they dont have their own gear. It is your work equipment and if you dont have it, to me, you're not serious about your job. My rental gear is for paying customers. If I am paying you, you dont get to borrow gear. I personally dont care what brand of gear you own as long as it is in good working condition.

I wont hire an instructor or DM if they dont have their own gear. It is your work equipment and if you dont have it, to me, you're not serious about your job. My rental gear is for paying customers. If I am paying you, you dont get to borrow gear. I personally dont care what brand of gear you own as long as it is in good working condition.

I agree. My point was that this shouldn't be an expectation of the certification Agency or an ITE, but the employer.

As a DMC, I'm expected to use gear that the shop sells. It does not have to be the same make and model, but it needs to be a brand that is sold in the shop.

Most of our OW students use ScubaPro Glide BCD's. I use a Seahawk. However, for pool sessions, I use rental gear if its available to avoid using my own gear in over-chlorinated pools constantly (students get first priority of gear).

We do have a DMC that started with a different shop, and owns different gear, so she ALWAYS uses rental gear. Only because she can't afford to buy a second BCD in the "right" brand.

I think all serious divers should have all their own gear. When I DM the pool sessions I use a shop BC and of course shop tanks. They are always available even if there are 2 classes of 8 students each on that day. I use my own reg as it has the molded mouthpiece. I use my opwn fins because they fit and I don't have to find shop pair that fits. And of course the shop's soft lead belts. I use my own shortie for convenience, and I know it fits. All this shop stuff is getting chlorined and salt watererd every weekend anyway-- what's the difference if an instructor uses it as well? Quite a few other DMs and instructors use shop stuff at the pool. I use all my own stuff at the checkout dives as I have the tank lock, suspenders, etc. Our shop owner has no problem with using shop stuff (I guess as long as you do own your own?), and it would be no problem to use shop stuff at the ocean as well. Maybe the rule is a money thing, figuring you'll buy your stuff from the shop or maybe it's just a logic thing in that pros (or anyone serious) should own it all?

Should Divemasters have their own gear? Absolutely. You are a professional. If doubts:
I'm a carpenter..... Can I borrow your hammer and saw?
I'm a mechanic..... Can I borrow your socket set?
I'm a farmer.... Can I borrow your tractor?
I'm a captain..... Can I borrow your boat?
Really?

Should they be required to use it in the pool and add undue wear and tear from the chlorine and confuse students because their equipment is different from what everyone else is learning on? No. It shouldn´t be mandatory but common courtesy on the part of the dive shop I would expect.

If the diveshop is using the size you normally use and there is no size up or down you can squeeze into for training, should you use your gear? Yes, suck it up. You're a divemaster.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom