Short Phuket -> Similian Islands liveaboard without hand-holding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the idea that only course directors are fit to dive without a guide is strange to me. Is this diving very difficult?
You misread what was posted.

you will get better enjoyment being guided

there are so many small thing to see that you may miss on your own its worth going with the guides

I agree - the guides know (or should) the sites very well, where to see stuff with minimal bar wasting.

I agree - the guides know (or should) the sites very well, where to see stuff with minimal bar wasting.

I guess it's the "should" that I'm worrying about! Perhaps the operators I've dived with in Australia aren't representative, but I've tended to find that the chance of getting a guide who can't find the major attraction of the site and can't find the boat afterwards is runs at about two to one and I've got used to, and come to like, self-guided dives (without getting lost and without other divers in the group swimming over me and giving me a knee to the back of the head). A good guide would be good, a bad guide I'd like to be able to opt-out of in subsequent dives.

I guess it's the "should" that I'm worrying about! Perhaps the operators I've dived with in Australia aren't representative, but I've tended to find that the chance of getting a guide who can't find the major attraction of the site and can't find the boat afterwards is runs at about two to one and I've got used to, and come to like, self-guided dives (without getting lost and without other divers in the group swimming over me and giving me a knee to the back of the head). A good guide would be good, a bad guide I'd like to be able to opt-out of in subsequent dives.

While not all guides, or rather DMs, which is often the case in Thailand, are great, I've found most are really very good at finding stuff. I swear some can spot the eyebrows on a 2cm long nudi 6 feet away.

You'll find DMs (many are also instructors) from many parts of the world in Thailand, and increasingly from Thailand. It's a good paying job for Thais, so that might explain some of the ardor. For non-Thais they do so because it allows them to live there albeit on meager wages.

I've also not had much problem getting back to the boat - many time the boat will come to you, maybe you have to swim 20 meters or so, they throw a rope to you, help you aboard. Please tip the boat guys a dollar or so a day.

Hello Puzzlement, I did a 4 night trip to Similans on the Colona VI this summer and my buddy and I dove without a DM after the first day checkout. We were even able to do an extra late night dive without any other divers in the water. There was a couple on the boat who also dove without a DM, I would contact the liveaboard directly to see if they have a policy regarding this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom