Short Phuket -> Similian Islands liveaboard without hand-holding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puzzlement

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've looked through past threads and seen this question answered a lot, but I have a specific variant that I'm interested in.

Holiday background: my husband and I are flying into Phuket on Nov 15 and out on Nov 27 for a belated honeymoon. We both love diving and we did our Open Water with Lanta Diver in 2004, so this is something of a return to the scene... or at least area... of the crime. But we tend to find that liveaboards are holidays that you need a holiday afterwards to recover from, so we wanted to do a shorter liveaboard towards the beginning of the stay (maybe starting the 18th or 19th, he will have come from North America the long way around the globe, thanks to round the world fares and a complicated work itinerary and will be jetlagged) and then have the rest of the holiday be land based, with perhaps a day trip or two. Given the jetlag at the beginning and wanting to have a decent land-based interval at the end we were thinking about a 3d/2n liveaboard.

Diving background: We have a fairly small number of dives logged (it's 63 each I think) but since certifying, we've mostly done day trips in Sydney (which is temperate with indifferent viz, most regulars use drysuits) and liveaboards in Queensland. We've developed a distinct preference for self-guided dives (partly because GBR liveaboards charge extra for guides, and our Sydney dive shop DM hires who haven't seen the sites before), or at least for a dive guide who will let us manage our own air, dive our own plan and not necessarily come up with the group.

Comments on this board suggest that South Siam at least are very hand-holding (45 min max, the whole group comes up as soon as one diver is low). Is this typical? Do any of the shorter Similan liveaboards cater to either independent divers or are OK with them leaving the group? Should we resign ourselves to indifferently led dives? Are there any alternative arrangements in the area that might better suit us?

Thanks for your help!

Different ops have different rules. I've been on some where most divers are experienced, for example I had a course director as my buddy. I've been in groups where there will be a split if one diver is short on air/NDL, and the remaining divers will continue on. But that's with experienced divers who carry their own safety equipment.

I have to say, after the GBR, where the liveaboards are very much of the "you're certified, go look after yourself, the site is that way" mentality, the idea that only course directors are fit to dive without a guide is strange to me. Is this diving very difficult?

you will get better enjoyment being guided

there are so many small thing to see that you may miss on your own its worth going with the guides

smartecosse: thanks for the advice. Do you or anyone have any thoughts then on shorter liveaboards where we have a reasonable likelihood of a good guide who knows where the small things are (I've been quite badly burned in Sydney by guides, who, for example, can't locate Magic Point's shark cave at all, when it's the feature of the dive!) and being placed in a group of divers of similar experience?

Most I saw in Thailand was very hand holding.
But a lot diver here, incl. some of my buddies really needed that.
I have no idea why is that, I remember a few guys, they would die at the first normal dive in europe, because they have no skills at all.
So my thought is that most operator are very carefully and hand holding if they don't know someone, just because they don't want to loose 10 % of their customer every day and come back with an empty boat.

My last horror buddy: At about 10-15 meter the air was on 20 bar after 38 min diving. A hugh amount of weights "I need that to go descent" swimming around 45 degree. All the time uncontrolled descent or ascent. So the DM had to hold him all the time.
He was certified OW and considered himself as a medium good diver and as normal than the DM holds you all the time.

If you push him in deep water and don't take care he descent till he die. And there are a couple of guys like him arround.

All this assumes you'd like to dive the Similan Islands... what about Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Phi Phi? The White Manta has some 3 day/2 night trips in November with availability. You can get a nice double bed cabin with en suite bathroom and the boat only takes about 14 divers.

White Manta

stevenl: thanks for the recommendation.

Batfish: thanks. We're thinking about doing the dives closer to Phi Phi as a day trip or two from Ko Lanta after the liveaboard. We'll talk about it more in the next few days I guess.

I work on the White Manta when it is based in Singapore. The usual rule here is that if you want to go off with your buddy and do your own dive, go ahead - just as long as you stay in the general safety plan. If you want to loosely follow a guide, go ahead. If you want a guide, they will have at least a couple on board that know the area very well. Finally, we try to match groups / buddies up of the same ability. Pairs can go or be taken to the surface on their own in most places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom