Short Notice Offshore Rig Diving Trip Tomorrow May 2nd out of Freeport TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$250/diver is not bad for 40 miles offshore. If he were lucky enough to get 1mpg it probably takes 100 gallons after cruising between sites, etc. Plus all the other expenses related to keeping up a boat and crew. Most fishing boats in the gulf charge $300/head to go that far offshore just to fish. I get bored diving coral reefs compared to oil rigs. Yes the coral is pretty but the fish life on a coral reef is nothing compared to an oil rig.
PICT1310.jpgPICT1246.jpg

$250/diver is not bad for 40 miles offshore. If he were lucky enough to get 1mpg it probably takes 100 gallons after cruising between sites, etc. Plus all the other expenses related to keeping up a boat and crew. Most fishing boats in the gulf charge $300/head to go that far offshore just to fish. I get bored diving coral reefs compared to oil rigs. Yes the coral is pretty but the fish life on a coral reef is nothing compared to an oil rig.
View attachment 208460View attachment 208461

I think with thousands of dives on each, I can state with a little authority that you're diving the wrong coral reefs. Don't get me wrong, I love rigs, but they mostly look like they have more fish because the fish have almost no place to hide. They are right in your face. The Tortugas, Flower Gardens, Bright and Guyer Bank, Three Hickeys Rock (Sonnier bank), Stetson are all loaded with fish. I don't know where in Louisiana you are, but try running to Three Hickeys sometime. The fish life will blow you away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom