Short LOB in Komodo between 2/24 and 3/3/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clipgoal234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

We're going to be in Komodo from 2/24 - 3/3. We'd like to spend some time on land and some time on the water on a live aboard that's anywhere from 1-3 nights. I've been searching all of the sites I can find (PADI, divebooker, liveaboard.com, innfinns etc) but not much matches up with our dates. Davy Jones seems to be the only one. The Wunderpuss seems great, but their final day of diving is when we'd need to be flying. Other than that, it seems to mostly converted day boats. Would love something that has a private room/bathroom and ideally that gets on land a few times.

Alternatively, am I wasting my time and we may as well just take the speedboats out to the same north/central sites from Labuan Bajo?

Thank you!

Scuba Junkie Komodo is a good alternative to short LoB.
Dragon Tour is included on the last day of the trip on the way back to Labuan Bajo.

I won't really call the dragon tour as tourist trap.
The well fed dragons are pretty tame but I would rather facing them than a hungry one in the wild.
SJ does not charge anything extra for the tour, you just pay everything on arrival at the park. Anyone can op out of the tour and stay on the boat over that period.

Having just returned from a dive trip to Komodo where I did a three night live aboard with Uber Scuba (enjoyed it) and then had one down day and then went on a 3 dive day trip with them I'd skip the day trip option if at all possible and go with a short live aboard. The day trip was just not as enjoyable as the live aboard trip---long haul out to the dive sites--one and a half hours out and the same back--with a very crowded boat--I think we had 18 divers on board that day. A chance of getting mixed in with divers of various degrees of experience--which I did. If you have certain dive sites you have on your list be sure to check with them to see where they will be going that day--Uber posted their sites the day before on a board in their office. I was supposed to dive again with them the next day but cancelled the trip because of the less than expected experience on the day trip--having done the live aboard I do think my expectations were spoiled for the day trip. If day trips are your only option then go for it--you'll dive the same dive sites in the north and central part of Komodo that the live aboards do--the guides and staff on my boat were great people and they'll serve you coffee and doughnuts on the way out and a lunch between your second and third dives. I did much prefer the live aboard trip and am looking forward to diving there again this year on a bit longer live aboard--four or five nights or longer. Enjoy Komodo--PS--we did a Komodo dragon tour on the live aboard and I didn't c
MICR1340.jpg
MICR1349.jpg
IMAG1103.jpg
IMAG1096.jpg
are for it at all--dragons just hanging around the ranger station kitchen looking for a hand out--not my cup of tea. Uber does schedule a two dive day trip with a visit to visit the dragons if that's what you want. The town of Lubuan Bajo doesn't have much going for it--not exactly the Pearl of the Orient--enjoy Komodo and good diving!

Also many (not all) of the live aboard boats have shifted their trips to south Komodo at that time of year. Sea conditions are better in the south as compared to the north in February and March---all the day trips will still be in the central and north areas of Komodo.

Back
Top Bottom