Short exposure tolerance to very high PPO2s.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
same question same guy in another tech forum. Same advice but there he wanted to know "just in case" not just knowledge

Erich,

Dr. Mike has asked this question in several fora, but his caveat has always been that he does not want to do this, just to know if there exists any information about it.

Dr Deco:
The graph post by Rick in the above post is from my class in Decompression Physiology and posted on an earlyier thread. The one added is a bit clearer. Note that the CNS incidence is 10% for this case – too high.

One must really stay away from these levels.
Do you have any data for lower incidence rates, like 1% or 0.1%??

I have heard several nitrox divers make statements that they would not exceed 1.6ata ppO2 even in an emergency due to fear of ox tox. I figure that with just a single AL80 that the maximum depth that I will go is to save another diver is really limited by gas consumption rather than oxtox considerations.

For example, 50m/165' is still less than 2.0ata ppO2 on EAN32, and even on EAN40, it's 2.4ata.

Comments?

Hello charlie:

I do not have further info. The report is:

Vann RD 1988. Oxygen toxicity risk assessment. Final Report on ONR Contract N00014-87-C-0283. Vann RD, Gerth W A, Southerland DG, Stanton GR, Pollock N,

Since Dr Vann is at DAN (Duke University), possible DAN would know where one could obtain a copy. I do not yet have a complete copy of this.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom