Shore snorkeling sites in broward county area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirin

Registered
Reaction score
I have snorkelled at Lauderdale-by-the-sea in pompano and at Red Reef Park in Boca.

Lauderdale-by-the-sea was a long swim to the good stuff. Also lots of fishing line.

Red Reef Park was good for snorkeling but very little to see. You also had to pay a $18.50 entrance fee and were limited in how far you could go by the life guards.

With this being Florida, i thought snorkeling would be as good as it is from a boat.

Are there any good shore snorkeling spots? Something with warm, clear water. Not too far from shore. Good marine life and lots to see.

(ie. the stuff i grew up watching on Flipper, LOL).

You are NOT going to find good clear water near the shore. The bottom is sand, and it's only 15' deep - so even on a good day, you won't see viz greater than 30-40 feet.

Where in Lauderdale-by-the-sea did you go? If you only stay by the pier, it's a long swim, and there's lots of fishing line. If you venture south more from the pier, it's not as long a swim, and there's NO fishing line to speak of.

howarde:
Where in Lauderdale-by-the-sea did you go? If you only stay by the pier, it's a long swim, and there's lots of fishing line. If you venture south more from the pier, it's not as long a swim, and there's NO fishing line to speak of.

Yeah i parked in this little parking area, where a lot of divers park. Snorkeled within 100yrds of the right (south) side of the pier, and 50-75yds past the end of the pier.

I like the diving and stuff at lauderdale-by-the-sea. Its nice when you just want to relax underwater or practice bouyancy skills etc.

I love the snorkeling. But, its a hefty swim, ya know.

Red Reef Park was a great snorkling spot, except just one problem. Almost nothing to see there. I saw a small school of sharps, a stingray and some small fish. But, nothing to say wow about.

Red Reef Park was a great snorkling spot, except just one problem. Almost nothing to see there. I saw a small school of sharps, a stingray and some small fish. But, nothing to say wow about.

Another great snorkling spot is a little north above red reef park. It's a Free park called Gulfstream Park. They have a nice rubble reef just past the buoys. I just recently went this past Memorial day and the nicest part was south of the lifeguard tower directly in front of the white house. You can't miss it. Saw LARGE tarpon, schools of barrucuda, grunts, snappers, angels, and nice damsels. In the past i've seen turtles, nurse sharks and even a spotted eagle ray! Nice place to snorkel and you can't beat the price! :wink:

There's also my favorite shore diving site, 12th St. in Pompano Beach. Check out posts 13 and 18 at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=60333&page=2

Word of caution...anywhere in So. Fla. you'll need a dive flag if you're either snorkeling or diving more than 100 ft. from shore. Plan on that.

If you thought LBTS was a long swim, oh my god.... Thats one of the closest ones around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom