Shore diving with full face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
Does shore diving with a ffm make sense? I usually have my mask around my neck while swimming out. Would all the water that got in the mask hinder the performance. IE face itching cuz air is rushing over your wet skin or droplets on the inside of the lens?

I know a few people that shore dive with a FFM.
I think it would be easier for you to put it on prior to swimming out. The spider strap is finicky vs. the basic mask strap, plus you can make sure the seal is good around the hood a little better.
Most dive with a surface air valve. Keep it open on the swim out and you'll save a bit of air.
Can also dive the mask with a bit of positive pressure (basically, your FFM reg leaks by a little to keep air in the mask.

Flooding and clearing the mask should be second nature, so I wouldn't worry about droplets of water. You should also carry a backup mask in your pocket just in case...

Depends on your shoreline as well. Locally by the time you are 15' off shore you are already in 10' of water.

I use a FFM regular for shore diving along with public safety diving. Once you are taught the correct way to don and tighten the straps putting it on easy, even in the water. I usually put it on just before I enter the water, open the ambient breathing valve then swim or wade until ready to submerge. Remember too close the valve or there will be an annoying spray of water each time you breathe. I have submerged with the valve open and started the dive only to realize I forgot to close the ABV. Usually a quick purge and off to the dive. I recommend taking a FFM class if you are planning on purchasing one.

My masks don't possess ambient valves; so I typically put them on, loosely and switched off, before a surface swim, so that I can freely breathe, on the way out.

I only cinch things down, prior to descent . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom