shore diving st. croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok- I am looking at a possible quickie trip to St. Croix. Can anyone give me a fair rating on the shore diving- I'm read all the archives about ops etc, but how happy am I going to be shore diving for a couple of days.
Now, I don;t need spectacular- I usually find something good anywhere I dive, but wondered how many people shore dive there- presumably not as many as Bonaire right?
Also, anyone know of the Waves hotel/resort? says they have shore diving right there- is it OK?
any adive greatly recieved.

Stayed at The Waves in July 2002. Shore entry there is not for the faint of heart (we did not use their entry site during our week plus stay). Cane Bay beach has a good entry, but you have to be careful about making sure you enter & exit through the cut in the fringing reef. Did multiple shore dives from Cane Bay beach. Also, the Cane Bay scuba shop was our provider of choice on the island. Did shore diving at Fredriksted Pier also. The Northstar site can be done from either boat or shore, but weather / wave action during our stay made us choose primarily boat dives. Fredricksted pier is a shore dive only. Did Rust Op Twist as a boat dive, but it can also be done from shore. Most of this is captured with good photos at www.shorediving.com.

The Waves were under new ownership when we were there, air fills were no longer free with our stay. The Waves has Grade E air, the Cane Bay shop has O2 compatible air and does nitrox partial pressure blending - just tell them what you need. There is a handout you can get from the folks who own / manage The Waves (unless it's changed ownership since we were there) that was written by the previous owners. It's a good informational guide.

Overall, our favorite spot was Northstar, followed by the Cane Bay site. Lots of pillar coral is one of the trademarks for this area. Different unusual species of lobster in cave at Northstar (but flash on our camera failed to cooperate).

Food at the Cane Bay beach bar & grill was good and reasonable. Queenie has great homemade pepper sauce that goes well with the pork, bacon, and cheese sandwich (can't remember the name of it, but it was great!).

Have a great time!

thanks for the reply, I am still trying to decide whether to stay at the waves for the onsite shore diving or elsewhere with a car. Thanks for the tips about Cane Bay- this was goign to be our main spot.

Cane Bay is nothing short of spectacular. I would highly recommend it. It's a relatively short swim to a bouy at about 40fsw. After dropping down to the sand, it's another 30-40 feet to the edge of the wall. From there the scene is just spectacular.

It was one of the highlights of my trip.

Note: If you have a car-park it in the restaurant lot across the street. Make sure you don't have any valuables in the car, though.

In March of 2004, Cane Bay DS was filling the tanks for the Waves. Queenie hasn't been with the beach bar for almost a year, but Joe and Vickie the new owners are terrific. Joe is a bit of a grump, but a terrific cook/chef. His Baked Ziti on pasta night is delish!

mmm- the baked Ziti sounds great!!- I have booked to go for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and will post a report when I get back- I am planning on a shore dive extravaganza- I might fit a boat dive in, as well, but I am planning to do the waves, canebay, north shore and the pier-day and night.
Thanks to everyone for help and advice.

munkispank:
mmm- the baked Ziti sounds great!!- I have booked to go for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and will post a report when I get back- I am planning on a shore dive extravaganza- I might fit a boat dive in, as well, but I am planning to do the waves, canebay, north shore and the pier-day and night.
Thanks to everyone for help and advice.

When are you planning on being here, always nice to get in a dive or two with people from the board here when possible.

Darlene

Hey Darlene,

we will be there for the 4th of July weekend thru tuesday- just a quickie trip, but at least I can get wet. It would be great if we could get a dive in sometime, PM me if you will be around.

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom