Shore diving on gabriola island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So it looks like we might be spending a few days on Gabriola Island between Christmas and New years and I thought I would drag along my dive gear. I am the only diver in the family and am wondering if anyone has any info on shore diving there and also if anyone might also be there and lookiing for a dive buddy. Can't seem to find much online.

Last edited:
Stuart,
I've dived Gabriola a few times soloing and putz around in some of the bays which are usually shallow but with stuff to look at anyways. Drumbeg has some ledges on the left side to look under and I don't go out too far to get swept by the current. Descanso is pretty sheltered but shallow as well. There are a couple of small bays at the end of Dragons lane that takes a little walking. I've also dived around the little island in the middle of Degnen bay where I had fun in reversing currents (but it was a boat dive).
You should ask MJ. He knows a young diving fellow that lives there.
I just looked at Marks "indexes". He is braver than me :) I think Taylor point is also called Gabriola sands if I'm not mistaken? I've thought many times of diving off Malispina galleries but the water looked so dark. Now I may have to give it a go.

Last edited:
I think Taylor point is also called Gabriola sands if I'm not mistaken? I've thought many times of diving off Malispina galleries but the water looked so dark. Now I may have to give it a go.
Gabriola Sands park is the neck of land you drive across to get to the Taylor Point area. The bay in front of the Malaspina Galleries is sandy and shallow (about 30' in the middle). The wall I dive on requires a bit of a surface swim.
map.jpg

Thanks Mark,
I will try Malaspina next time I'm there.

Stuart, when on Gabriola you should check out the petroglyphs. They are about half way down the island on the west side and you park in the United Church parking lot. A local map from the chamber of commerce shows the trail and it is also marked at the church. Not dive related but a nice little jaunt none the less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom