Shore Diving on Andros Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I have a possible job opportunity to move to Andros Island and I wanted to know if they have any decent shore diving on the island. Having to hire a boat to take me out every couple days to dive could get prohibitively expensive.

Thanks,
Chris Christensen

Hello Chris, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Interesting first post. Would you be working at AUTEC? If you're going to be there, they may still have a dive club and boats for use (it's been a few years since I was there, things may have changed).

IMO, yes, you can shore dive on Andros but your success will probably depend heavily on where you are -- it's a big series of islands. Many areas are inaccessible. I found that near Fresh Creek you pretty much need a boat because the main part of the reef is fairly far off shore.

If you have a boat, the diving is good.

Thanks for the reply,

I just applied for the position. I don't know the name but it does require secret clearance. Not sure I can afford a boat. I heard the main reef is about a quarter mile from the shore, so maybe I can get something smallish.

g2:
Hello Chris, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Interesting first post. Would you be working at AUTEC? If you're going to be there, they may still have a dive club and boats for use (it's been a few years since I was there, things may have changed).

IMO, yes, you can shore dive on Andros but your success will probably depend heavily on where you are -- it's a big series of islands. Many areas are inaccessible. I found that near Fresh Creek you pretty much need a boat because the main part of the reef is fairly far off shore.

If you have a boat, the diving is good.

I don't know the name but it does require secret clearance.

Yeah, that would be AUTEC.

Don't worry about a boat. Not yet, at least. The main reef is quite far off shore but you may have access to a boat when you're there. PM me if you have any other questions.

g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom