Shore Diving Kata Beach/Reef - Varied Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG-20230125-WA0013.jpg
Janss' Pipefish

IMG-20230125-WA0006.jpg
Pipehorse (undetermined)

Thanks for posting the pictures. Just moored in Ko Pu at 5pm today (1st Feb). Will dive there in few minutes. Plan to dive Kata beach tomorrow). Any tips (such as GPS location for entry) would be very much appreciated.

We thumbed the dive after 45 min underwater getting stung by long stringy things that looked like box jellyfish, They were on the bottom and tangled on my camera gear, stinging my face and hands.

We are going to skip the Kata Beach tomorrow and head out to Racha Noi tomorrow morning, hoping less stingy stuff there.

GH014600x.jpg

My two dive buddies got stung (swollen red skin and itches) by these nasty critters on their exposed skins (face, neck and hands). I wore hood and gloves so I jjust got stung a little bit on my exposed lips and cheek. What are those?

We are in Racha Yei today and they are there too.

We thumbed the dive after 45 min underwater getting stung by long stringy things that looked like box jellyfish, They were on the bottom and tangled on my camera gear, stinging my face and hands.

We are going to skip the Kata Beach tomorrow and head out to Racha Noi tomorrow morning, hoping less stingy stuff there.
Interesting...me and my dive buddies dive Kata Beach almost daily and have never encountered what you experienced. As I'm sure you know, they were NOT Box Jellyfish or you wouldn't be doing any diving at Racha Island or anywhere else for a long time. It has been a bit unseasonably windy the past week or so and this has brought up some wave action and may have blown in what you saw. Sorry for your experience...did your guide take you to see the seahorses or Stingfish at the pink sponges?

Interesting...me and my dive buddies dive Kata Beach almost daily and have never encountered what you experienced. As I'm sure you know, they were NOT Box Jellyfish or you wouldn't be doing any diving at Racha Island or anywhere else for a long time. It has been a bit unseasonably windy the past week or so and this has brought up some wave action and may have blown in what you saw. Sorry for your experience...did your guide take you to see the seahorses or Stingfish at the pink sponges?
Right, they are not Box Jellyfish. It could be Fire Jellyfish as mentioned here:

IMG-20230328-WA0006~2.jpg
Ornate Ghost Pipefish in the house 😊

It's been a few months (monsoon season) since I've posted here so now that the Kata Beach season has been open a couple months, here are a few pics of what me and some of our other dive club members have been seeing recently...

1696852067114-1594265077~3.jpg
We'll start small with Shawn The Sheep and his little brother (Costasiella kuroshimae) The "big" one is < 5 mm!

16977112435221811799582.jpg
16977112143551205440970~2.jpg
Our Mimic Octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) are just crazy this year...seeing 4-5 a dive in our sandy area at 10m.

1698204152772-693849121~2.jpg
Always be careful where you put your legs, elbows, and hands when diving the sandy shallows as there are a lot of Demon Stingers (Inimicus Didactalus) around.

1698205568864-716502779~2.jpg
Several pairs of Robust Ghost Pipefish (Solenostomus cyanopterus) this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom