Question Shore diving in Martinique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone comment on shore diving in Martinique? Any feedback on solo-diving (yes I can produce a card, and always schlep my pony when I travel)

I've found only limited detail with my Google searches, and while I appreciate dive operators wanting to fill their boats, I'd like an alternative. I'm not averse to boat dives, but I really enjoy diving by myself, my cheap nature precludes doing a lot of it.

All this plus my wife doesn't dive, but likes to snorkel

Thanks in advance

Hi John,

Sorry can't help you about your destination, but remember : Martinique is a part of France, meaning local regulations won't recognize your Solo diver card.

If you organize everything on your own (except filling your tank), you'll be able to dive solo, but if at any point you require the services of a dive professional, you'll be compelled to have a dive buddy.

Can anyone comment on shore diving in Martinique? Any feedback on solo-diving (yes I can produce a card, and always schlep my pony when I travel)

I've found only limited detail with my Google searches, and while I appreciate dive operators wanting to fill their boats, I'd like an alternative. I'm not averse to boat dives, but I really enjoy diving by myself, my cheap nature precludes doing a lot of it.

All this plus my wife doesn't dive, but likes to snorkel

Thanks in advance
when will you be in Martinique ? I'm in St Lucia thinking about taking ferry over to Martinique & Diving.

Martinique is a part of France, meaning local regulations won't recognize your Solo diver card.
Interesting. So, does the French government have some blanket prohibition against solo diving, or is that just a common attitude amongst dive operators, or what? Curious as to the specifics.

Richard.

Interesting. So, does the French government have some blanket prohibition against solo diving, or is that just a common attitude amongst dive operators, or what? Curious as to the specifics.

Richard.

I'll try to give the best answer I can, to the best of my knowledge and abilities.

Many outdoor activities in France are under the rule of 'Code du Sport', which defines what is allowed or not. Basically the code is based on what's considered good practices by the various sport organizations (in French we say 'Fédérations'). If several organizations care for the same sport, only the one considered the most representative by the state, will be consulted to design the regulation.

As far as diving is concerned, in France, the FFESSM (Fédération Française d'Etudes et de Sports Sous-Marins) is the state partner of choice. FFESSM curriculum doesn't recognize, nor teach, nor endorse solo diving, so the national regulation won't as well.

Still, some outdoor activities, not considered as sports, don't fall under 'Code du Sport' : for examples spelunking and cave diving.

There's a cave diving curriculum with the FFESSM and the FFS (Fédération Française de Spéléologie i.e French Spelunking Federation). In this instance : both organizations teach solo cave diving as a rule.

I hope I made it clear enough, although I know I lack the specific English lexicon to translate correctly all the legal mumbo jumbo. Moreover, I had to simplify (maybe over simplify) the context to avoid boring everybody here.

I'll try to give the best answer I can, to the best of my knowledge and abilities.

Many outdoor activities in France are under the rule of 'Code du Sport', which defines what is allowed or not. Basically the code is based on what's considered good practices by the various sport organizations (in French we say 'Fédérations'). If several organizations care for the same sport, only the one considered the most representative by the state, will be consulted to design the regulation.

As far as diving is concerned, in France, the FFESSM (Fédération Française d'Etudes et de Sports Sous-Marins) is the state partner of choice. FFESSM curriculum doesn't recognize, nor teach, nor endorse solo diving, so the national regulation won't as well.

Still, some outdoor activities, not considered as sports, don't fall under 'Code du Sport' : for examples spelunking and cave diving.

There's a cave diving curriculum with the FFESSM and the FFS (Fédération Française de Spéléologie i.e French Spelunking Federation). In this instance : both organizations teach solo cave diving as a rule.

I hope I made it clear enough, although I know I lack the specific English lexicon to translate correctly all the legal mumbo jumbo. Moreover, I had to simplify (maybe over simplify) the context to avoid boring everybody here.
I'm pleased to know the French are not the only nationality with consistently inconsistent rules

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom