Shore diving entries in the Sydney area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How difficult are they around this time of year? I know if will vary greatly and depend on the tide, I'm just wondering in general. For instance, in my opinion, Bonaire is generally very, very easy, while Southern California can be pretty tricky.

Thanks!

:happywave

the thing about sydney diving is that if a site is blown out, there are always other sites available for diving (unless its a total blowout like 5mtr swells ect)

so - if Kurnell is blown out, Bare Island is a good dive and visa versa, if they are both messy, Shelley Beach is good and we have dozens of dive sites from sydney to 2hrs north and 2hrs south so we are very lucky

the thing about sydney shore diving is that most times you have to walk with your gear to get to the water - could be a 100mtr/300ft walk for most sites. i can do it (and almitychild) and im not in great shape but i do know some vistors are a bit put off by the idea

i think only Kurnell is tide dependant but it can be done on an outgoing tide-you just have to do it right :wink:

as far as your "this time of year" bit - the blue water comes in and the viz improves... but for the past couple of weekends we've had swells that took alot of people out of the water

planning on a visit???

cheers

Coming tonight actually, for a conference! Didn't think I'd have time to dive, but I will-yay! so I'm doing two shore dives with Abyss on Friday at Bare Island. I saw a warning on the website that said 'rough entry/exit', and was wondering. The walk won't bother me at all--I was just wondering about swells-I bad at keeping my balance in 4ft+ (I'm a wuss, I know...), esp on the exit, which makes life unpleasant. So, I'm hoping you don't have large swells again this weekend.

Alas, I can't bring my gear, other than my BP/W and gauges. And double alas, I'll only get to do the two dives, this trip. But I'm very, very excited for the two that I'll get :) Want to come diving?

:happywave

the thing about sydney diving is that if a site is blown out, there are always other sites available for diving (unless its a total blowout like 5mtr swells ect)

so - if Kurnell is blown out, Bare Island is a good dive and visa versa, if they are both messy, Shelley Beach is good and we have dozens of dive sites from sydney to 2hrs north and 2hrs south so we are very lucky

the thing about sydney shore diving is that most times you have to walk with your gear to get to the water - could be a 100mtr/300ft walk for most sites. i can do it (and almitychild) and im not in great shape but i do know some vistors are a bit put off by the idea

i think only Kurnell is tide dependant but it can be done on an outgoing tide-you just have to do it right :wink:

as far as your "this time of year" bit - the blue water comes in and the viz improves... but for the past couple of weekends we've had swells that took alot of people out of the water

planning on a visit???

cheers

Bare Island is a nice dive - always something to find

if the seas are flat you can try to walk around to the back of the island to get greater depth

to get there you walk down the road, across the bridge, down the stairs to the ledge and you can pop into the water

this is a side view of bare island
tnsw_bare_island_botanybay.jpg

you can see the bridge you will walk over - as you can see, if its flat you can walk further around the island (right hand side of the pic)

ordinarily you will enter on the right hand side. depending on conditions there are a number of ledges you enter from
bare.jpg

oh forgot to mention about sydney diving... bring your gloves because if things turn rough you crawl out when you can and you dont want to risk getting your hands cut

things to tell your DM you want to see - weedy sea dragons, red indian fish, big blue gropers and look for nudies

and if your DM is good - ask him about pygmie pipehorse (tiny seahorses about the size of your fingernail)
DSC_4081.JPG

and does he know the secret spot for the upside down pipefish :wink:
DSC_4015.JPG

hubby tells me that accordinig to the BOM, forecast says that swells are starting to settle down but he hasnt got a friday forecast yet. he also said that if there is a big southerly swell Bare Island will be blown out but its only wednesday here so plenty of time so dont fret yet

my hubbys pic site: Almity Web Page - Picture Viewing Page and click on Bare Island in the galleries

if bare island is blown out will Abyss be moving you to Kurnell???

Back
Top Bottom