Shore dives in San Juan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an instructor looking for a shore dive spot in San Juan. I am part of a group going cruising in the Southern Caribbean in Jan, and of course, now I have 4 students up here in Ohio that want to dive. We arrive on a Sat. morning, and if I can find a decent spot close to the shore in San Juan, and a dive shop to score some gear, I can knock out some checkouts there, and they can dive the cruise. Also, if anyone has ever dove Dominca, how about a heads up on that, too, myself and the other certified diver and diving there. (We think)

Not really concerned about fish, or reefs in SJ, just an easy in/out, and accessible. I think we are staying at the Ramada, but I have to confirm that.

Thanks a bunch,
Steve Treinish

The few times have been to PR, have always dove everywhere but SJ. I've never seen divers do diving off the beaches of hotels (Isle Verde, Condado..) The seas are pretty rough there. It's a small island so it's not long drive to decent diving like Fajardo East of San Juan in N. East corner. (45 min?) There are plenty of operators that will pick you up from your hotel and drive you there to take you to islands like Icacos. It's a very short boat ride from Fajardo Marina. A guy I've been going out with ever since got certified as a lad is Capt. Greg Korwek of Caribbean School of Aquatics. His boat is Innovation. He'll accomodate you. The trip he used to run (don't know if he still does it this way) was pick you up early AM. Drive you to his dock. Short boat ride to Icacos. 1 tank dive. Makes you awesome lunch. then takes you to part of island to either lay out, or snorkle. Head back to dock, drive you back to hotel by mid PM.

E-mail: boattrips@earthlink.net

Ok, I might look him up. It never fails all summer here in OH, they are always too busy, but when, lets see, it is 4 deg. right now, they want to learn. I didnt realize the east coast was that close. We might not have a great timeline, is there anyplace east that has any walk up and jump in? Kinda like the Caymans, right off the dock is the marine sanctuary?

Thanks for the input..

Not really.. There is lot of resorts, private property. Most diving is boat diving. The only shore diving I've ever did was a shore dive west of SJ in Isabella. It was a site called "los Arcos" The arches. Shallow natural arches and swim throughs. Was soo cool. (30 feet) It's about an hour and 1/2 west towards aguadilla.

Try http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean_/Puerto_Rico_/

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom