Shore dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoJu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am on vancouver island near duncan and have been looking for any kind of shore dive from Mill bay North to Ladysmith.
I have been diving in Genoa bay, Cherry point, And of course Maple bay, but there has to be at least one or two more valid spots(I hope). If anyone happens to know of a good spot of some intrest please let me know. I have been told there are no others but I dont want to believe that.
It doesn't have to be spectacular or anything just a little interesting for quick local dives.
Any advice?

GoJu:
I am on vancouver island near duncan and have been looking for any kind of shore dive from Mill bay North to Ladysmith.
I have been diving in Genoa bay, Cherry point, And of course Maple bay, but there has to be at least one or two more valid spots(I hope). If anyone happens to know of a good spot of some intrest please let me know. I have been told there are no others but I dont want to believe that.
It doesn't have to be spectacular or anything just a little interesting for quick local dives.
Any advice?
Goju, there is a spot just past maple bay called arbutus point. Just keep following the road past that pub there( I don't know the name of it) and it goes for about 3/4 of a mile. It goes up a small hill at the end and turns into a dead end with a tiny cul-de-sac on the end. you can park there and gear up and then walk back down the hill about 50ft and there is a little path to your left. go down this path (its steep and long so your legs will be burning) At this site the bottom drops away at a consistent 45 degrees down to I don't know what depth. we followed it down to 120' and it was still going. I've heard it does'nt stop until you hit 500 or 600', but i'm not going to try to find out. the best part of the dive is just to cruise along the wall at about 40-60'. either direction.
as far as freshwater, don't waste your time. me and my buddy dived in thetis lake(far more to see above the water) than below it. also Langford lake was terrible, just mud and garbage.
ps, where is cherry point? I have never heard of that place and would like to try it. My buddy i do maple bay with said he's done genoa bay but he wasn't that impressed with it.
also if your into driving a little farther than ladysmith, there is madrona point in parksville, right by rathtrevor beach. its an awsome dive if you can find the wall.

Travis*N:
Goju, there is a spot just past maple bay called arbutus point. Just keep following the road past that pub there( I don't know the name of it) and it goes for about 3/4 of a mile. It goes up a small hill at the end and turns into a dead end with a tiny cul-de-sac on the end. you can park there and gear up and then walk back down the hill about 50ft and there is a little path to your left. go down this path (its steep and long so your legs will be burning) At this site the bottom drops away at a consistent 45 degrees down to I don't know what depth. we followed it down to 120' and it was still going. I've heard it does'nt stop until you hit 500 or 600', but i'm not going to try to find out. the best part of the dive is just to cruise along the wall at about 40-60'. either direction.
as far as freshwater, don't waste your time. me and my buddy dived in thetis lake(far more to see above the water) than below it. also Langford lake was terrible, just mud and garbage.
ps, where is cherry point? I have never heard of that place and would like to try it. My buddy i do maple bay with said he's done genoa bay but he wasn't that impressed with it.
also if your into driving a little farther than ladysmith, there is madrona point in parksville, right by rathtrevor beach. its an awsome dive if you can find the wall.

I havedove madrona before and I agree it's awesome. There is also another place very near it called seducers which is not bad to 60' and very cool deeper. One of my favorite dives so far.Cherry point is a private marina, you'll need to ask permission from the owner who lives there. If you are heading towards Duncan from Victoria take a right on Koksilah road. cherry point road is of of that. I don't recall the name of the road the marina is actually on but if you were to call there they could probably help.
It is about 60-80 feet of the dock and there is some neat "wreckage" to check out but not much else i think. I dove there with a guide. On a map it is about half way between Mill bay and the entrance to Cowichan bay.
I tried cowichan lake and it too was rather dull, But deep i got easilyto 90' each time but figured No point and turned back.
I had heard of arbutus before and will try it.
thank you for the help.
If you would like to know anything that I may be able to help with just ask.
Dive on!

GoJu:
I havedove madrona before and I agree it's awesome. There is also another place very near it called seducers which is not bad to 60' and very cool deeper. One of my favorite dives so far.Cherry point is a private marina, you'll need to ask permission from the owner who lives there. If you are heading towards Duncan from Victoria take a right on Koksilah road. cherry point road is of of that. I don't recall the name of the road the marina is actually on but if you were to call there they could probably help.
It is about 60-80 feet of the dock and there is some neat "wreckage" to check out but not much else i think. I dove there with a guide. On a map it is about half way between Mill bay and the entrance to Cowichan bay.
I tried cowichan lake and it too was rather dull, But deep i got easilyto 90' each time but figured No point and turned back.
I had heard of arbutus before and will try it.
thank you for the help.
If you would like to know anything that I may be able to help with just ask.
Dive on!
"seducers" sounds interesting. how do you get there? I too am always looking for new shore dive sites as I don't have regular access to a boat. I'm going to look into doing cherry point, cause that sounds interesting. How about sanich inlet or victoria area? I'm assuming you have done some diving there, as there are neat areas to see there
have fun

Hey GoJu,

I'm guessing you may not be familiar with the dive book
99 Dives "from the San Juan Islands in Washington to the Gulf Islands & Vancouver Island" in British Columbia by Betty Pratt-Johnson. Published by Heritage House Publishing Co., Ltd. (September 1997) ISBN 189581118X
I hear she is in the midst of writing a new dive guide book.

Its a great guide and lists 11 shore dives in the area you are questioning. If you have been to Madronna Point then you passed Wall Beach, Cottam Point, Dolphin Beach & Seducers Cove to get there.

Seducers is a beautiful little dive. I always see something new there, whether it is in the shallow swaying eelgrass or along the staggered rock shelves forming a wall. Its onne of my favs. Dolphin Beach site is just up the road.

Get to Northwest Bay Road off the Island Highway. Turn (curve) Right onto Stewart Road. Go to Dolphin Drive, turn Right, go to Blueback drive, turn Left. Go to Tyee Crescent, turn left & park on the pavement that heads the trail to the beach.

Head to the Laughing Gull pub at Schooner Cove & Marina after the dive to recap with your buddies!

Hope this helps. Check your LDS for the book, or if they don't have it you may be able to find one on line. I refer to mine often, even if a few things may be out of date.

PM me if you need more details.

Enjoy your dive. Maybe I'll see you there Sunday.

SP

Can anyone tell me where the Dive site "The Basement" is located. I think it's in nanoose but I can't be sure.
It would be great if anyone could tell me as many sites in nanoose as possible.
So far I have...
Seducers/blueback community park
Cottam point, Wall beach, and Madronna.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom