Shore Dive - Mississauga/Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I did not two.crows. I tried looking for it via the search feature on OD but could find nothing. Do you have a link to the thread? Is it an accessible shore dive or is a bicycle actually required? I am really only looking to find new "accessible" shore dives. I may be pissing into the wind but I am looking to find new sites for us where we can "do a couple quick dives".

Here's the thread:

Ontario Diving

If you've never been out on the spit, it's a great place to go - there are two huge bird colonies (seagulls and cormorants) near the end; a great contrast of primal nature scenery with a backdrop of the Toronto skyline. But you do need a bike.

That said, there is a parking place at N 43.6517 W 79.3228 and from there it's about 200 m to walk to the water. I haven't dived anywhere out there yet, but I plan to.

One more thing to consider: this may or may not be regulated area of the Toronto harbour. I did a quick look for the exact boundaries of the Port Authority restricted waters but didn't come up with anything. If anyone has that link, perhaps they could post it in a separate thread for reference?

Incidentally: according to Lake Ontario bathymetry, the area south of the spit should drop to > 70m depth quickly ... how detailed are your charts of the area?

:)
two.crows

PS: bike access would definitely qualify as a shore-dive as far as I'm concerned. Anything that doesn't require me to own a motorboat. What I'd really like to do is take this further and dive from an (inflatable) kayak. The Sligo by kayak from Humber Bay Park ... wouldn't that be the coolest thing for a "shore dive"?

I read the thread. That sounds like quite the adventure. I will check my nautical charts but 70m quickly would shock me. They are fairly accurate according to our "dive" in Oakville. Unfortunately, at present I am not equipped to bike to dive sites although I can see how that might open some sites up. Thanks for the links and hopefully I get to try the site out.

Any idea why they said it was a 4.5km bike ride but your post says 200m walk? I assume this is because you are going to the closest water (for those without without bike trailers such as myself) and they are going to the very end?

A 4.5 km bike ride to the cove in which the wrecks sit - but only 200m from parking to shore if one just wants to get wet.
:)

Well 200 meters I could do so maybe that is added to the list. Do you know of anybody that has done this already or just the 4.5km to the wrecks?

If I hear back from the Harbour Master and can arrange it, I will PM you with some information.

Excellent two.crows. So I take it there was no issue with the Harbourmaster? I may only have one more chance to dive before I leave for Bonaire so I will make note of this site and either dive it after I return October 19th or do it in the spring (as long as the snow has disappeared because that ledge looks like it could be treacherous if slippery). Is there a lot of boat traffic on that side of the spit during the summer? With respect to depth accuracy, the Nautical charts that I have for the area shows just the very tip if the spit but nothing east of there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom