Shoes for open heeled fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstr

Registered
Reaction score
I will be diving in the Keys at the end of the month for the first time.
For all my diving so far I used 5mm boots with my open heeled fins. But as the water is warmer in Florida, I won't be using a wetsuit and the boots seem overkill.

What do people normally wear with open heeled fins when diving without a wetsuit?

Thanks

For all my diving so far I used 5mm boots with my open heeled fins. But as the water is warmer in Florida, I won't be using a wetsuit and the boots seem overkill.

What do people normally wear with open heeled fins when diving without a wetsuit?

Thanks

I use 5 mil booties for all my diving, ie 70 degree thru 86+........I would wear your 5 mil's there & save my money(your feet will not notice a difference between 5 mils & 2 mils).............

I use Mares low shoes, 2mm I think, for warm water diving. They won't last if you walk in them too much -- the soles are light duty and more flexible than most boots. They're slipper-like -- very comfortable & packable; quick drying.

For all my diving so far I used 5mm boots with my open heeled fins. But as the water is warmer in Florida, I won't be using a wet suit and the boots seem overkill.

What do people normally wear with open heeled fins when diving without a wet suit?

Thanks

My daughter wore her 5 mm boots in Curacao (which is much warmer than Florida) and had not problems whatsoever.

As the other person said, wear the 5 MM boots and save the money or get SeaSoft SunRay 3 mm booties which is what I use in warm water climates and with my dry suit (albeit 2 sizes larger).

The SeaSoft boots have hard soles and excellent arch support.

Thanks

Hi, I live in the PNW and I take my 5mm boots with me anywhere I dive even in the tropics. It works for me. I do not feel that wearing it is overkill. I do wear a 3mm doing tropical dives for protection and insulation. Even if I dive wearing shorts, I will still use my 5mm with my open-heel fins. Saves me money and space in the end because I do not have another pair of fins (closed heel) or thinner boots. I have made it a point to take my fins wherever I go too. I wear a size 13 and i have dived in Mexico where the dive op did not have an XL size fin. They had to hunt down a XL snorkeling fin that really gave me a difficult time underwater.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom