Shiver me timbers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LadyFish

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here been diving at the Texas Flower Gardens in mid-March? I know it's going to be pretty cold and I'm wondering which suit to wear (5,6,7mm?). A drysuit isn't an option because of the cost. I get cold pretty easy and would appreciate any suggestions for keeping warm :)

Thanks!

I wear a dry suit, but my son was wearing a 7 mm as were most of the others diving wetsuits. Hope this helps.

DSAO
Mike

LadyFish:
Anyone here been diving at the Texas Flower Gardens in mid-March? I know it's going to be pretty cold and I'm wondering which suit to wear (5,6,7mm?). A drysuit isn't an option because of the cost. I get cold pretty easy and would appreciate any suggestions for keeping warm :)

Thanks!

Us non locals could be more help if we had some idea what you're comfortable in for suits and water normally. Knowing the Flowers Gardens temp would help too.

In general any full suit will my enhanced by adding a hooded vest so keep that in mind.

I don't know anything about the site but it sounds interensting, have great safe dives.

Pete

spectrum:
Us non locals could be more help if we had some idea what you're comfortable in for suits and water normally. Knowing the Flowers Gardens temp would help too.

In general any full suit will my enhanced by adding a hooded vest so keep that in mind.

I don't know anything about the site but it sounds interensting, have great safe dives.

Pete
I've been in 68 degree water in a 3 mil (no hood) and been ok but was too cold to dive again after dive 3. From what i've been told flower gardens will be high 50's to low 60's and we'll be doing between 3 and 4 dives a day.

Thanks!

LadyFish,

If this is true:

* You become cold easily
* Ocean water temps between 58 degrees and say 62 degrees
* 3 to 4 dives per day, multiple days in a row

Then this will also be true:

* You will become cool on dive #2 and will tend to sit out (or gut out) dives #3 or #4
* Depending on how sensitive to cold you are (body mass etc.) any extended delay for any reason in the water could possibly result in mild to moderate hypothermia - ergo potential safety issues should anything not go as planned
* You would be more comfortable and safer in a drysuit

You may want to at least consider renting, or borrowing another woman's drysuit. Most dive shops that sell drysuits also have drysuits for students to try out or rent. This option is likely worthy of consideration.

Otherwise, go with the full 7mm and a hooded vest. And drink a lot of warm soup :)

Not to be a downer...

As always, YMMV. Be safe,

Doc

LadyFish:
I've been in 68 degree water in a 3 mil (no hood) and been ok but was too cold to dive again after dive 3. From what i've been told flower gardens will be high 50's to low 60's and we'll be doing between 3 and 4 dives a day.

Thanks!

I would be cold doing the 3mm dive you described and I'm pretty well aclimated as a cold water diver so if you had to call it a day after 3 dives you did good. I do suspect dives 3 and maybe even 2 were outside of your comfort and safety zones.

I agree with Doc. Go direct to 7mm, nothing less. Get a full (jumpsuit) style and add a hooded vest. The vest will do a lot to enhance the suit. If at all possible get in the water in this gear before the main event so you can get a handle on your weights and trim configuration. Divers accustomed to warm water protection may need a time or 2 in the water to adapt. Be sure to gget 5mm gloves and 56/7 mm booties, this could mean fins:11doh: A lot of heat and comfort can be lost due to cold extremeties.

In this range of gear divers enjoy much colder waters so even as a person from warmer climate you have a nice comfort margin. FWIW those temperatuires are our best ocean days here in Maine. My wife and I both dive 7mm full suits with hooded chicken vests worn under , 5mm hood, 3mm torso and are very comfortable. As the water cools we trade the chicken vest for a full 7mm hooded step-in vests worn over and are still comfortable. Below 50 I go dry and she hangs up her fins so far.

Be smart about your surface intervals, get out of the wetsuit and into dry garments at least above the waist if not entirely. Enjoy some good hot soup or appropriate beverages.

Going dry is an option but will throw you into a steeper learning curve for these dives..

Pete

also remember that some inexpensive drysuits are not much more than a good 7mil wetsuit... and Ebay is another possibility for picking up a suit (be cautious houwever)

Just another worthless 2 cents :wink:

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I get cold in 79* water in a full 3mil with hood...

Try a 7mm full suit with hooded vest to keep warm. IF you find your getting cool between dives have a Bottle of warm water handy to dump in your suit before you dive again.. this will help u keep warm. I dive normally 32F-55F RIght now where I am diving it's 42F, and I am diving dry in the summer I dive wet but pack the warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom