shipwrecks at Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to take a camping trip to Tobermory Ontario sometime soon. What shipwrecks do you recommend I visit? I can charter a boat or shore dive. I am also PADI deep dive certified.

I did find this site for information but I would rather hear from you who have experience in the region.

Tobermory is home to over 20 historic shipwrecks

Hope Stu checks in here and gives his thoughts as its his backyard.

That about sums it up. Those two wrecks are the pinnacle ones there, with the others being essentially "timber piles". The Niagara II is a fun dive with many openings established to make it diver friendly. I am heading there again this summer, this time with the wife joining me for her first visit. The Arabia and Forest City will be off limits for her, but the Niagara II should be a good experience for her (very similar to the Wolf Islander II in the St. Lawrence off Kingston). Be prepared for very COLD water (though being from Montreal, you likely are).

Thank you all for your recommendations. Great videos as well, the water is so clear for that depth in Canadian waters. But then again, I never dived that far west from home. I think I’ll take a week and enjoy the variety in shallow waters as well. No problem with the cold, I will use my dry suit.

I will also need to go with a dive center since my wife doesn’t dive. I hope they will take me even if I dive with one tank. I don’t do double tanks like the videos. I do have my own tanks and they are 119 cu ft each. It has served me well on deep dives before. I will need to contact some of the Tobermory dive shops about this.

I've dove single tanks there on many dives

The scuba club that I am a member of dives Tobermory every summer. The Joseph Simon is a great boat to dive from, it is out of G+S Watersports. We do single tank dives there with no issues and easily get 4 dives in a day (especially if everyone onboard brings a lunch so as not to have to return to dock). The last dive of the day is usually the Grotto. Tobermory was the driving force for me to get my certification.

I third Divers Den.

Single tanks are fine. Forest City and Arabia are great dives.

Hope Stu checks in here and gives his thoughts as its his backyard.

Technically, it's my front yard, but whatever...

The others have summed it up nicely... There's a good range of depths to play in here... Some shallow sites are surprisingly good. The tugs, that Patrick mentioned, the Wetmore, even the lowly Sweepstakes. Fun shore dives... the Tugs, Lighthouse, the wall in front of Trails End Lodge (with permission, and head west). Fun mid-depth dives... Niagara, King, Scoville. The best wrecks are deeper... Forest City (155'), Arabia (110'), Lady Dufferin (190+). If you get the chance, a trip to the Grotto is a nice shallow dive.

I do recommend some sort of redundancy, especially if you don't have a regular buddy. Reg freeze-up is always an issue at depth...

I also recommend Divers Den for walk-on, although check G+S as well. They have different schedules and they're only 20 seconds apart...

Feel free to PM if you have any questions, or post here!

Is there anything worth seeing on the Lady Dufferin? Tobermory has a few wrecks that are still not found. There were a few obstacles around that site that may be another wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom