Shipwrecks 2004/Preserve Our Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advtech

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a reminder for anyone planning on attending this years Shipwrecks/2004 Symposium that registrations postmarked on or before February 17 are at the discounted price of $35 CDN or $28 US. Original press release below. Ian

PRESS RELEASE
SHIPWRECKS/2004
WELLAND, ONTARIO
-(45 Minutes from Buffalo, 75 Minutes from Toronto)

The Niagara Divers' Association will present its Tenth Annual
Shipwrecks Symposium on Saturday March 27, 2004. This one-day
symposium on shipwrecks will feature multimedia presentations with
internationally renowned speakers from both the
United States and Canada. $35CDN/$28 US up February 17, 2003, $40
CDN/$32 US after / lunch included.

This year, we are very excited to have eight primary multimedia
presentations including;

David Gilchrist: Master of Ceremonies

Thomas Easop: (photographer/author) HMS Repulse & HMS Prince of Wales

Dan Hall (Singer/Songwriter of the Great Lakes):Stories of Great Lakes
Ships and their gallant seaman are told in song

Joyce Hayward: (Lady of the Lakes) " Getting To Know A Ship-The
Cornelia B. Windiate Project"

Lance Knapp: retired US Navy Rescue & Salvage Diver) Raising Derrick
Barge #8

Frank Mays: (Carl D. Bradley Survivor) "If We Can Make It 'til
Daylight"

Ric Mixter: (Airworthy Productions & Great Lakes Indepth TV Series)
"Final Run: Storms of the Century" & The Edmund Fitzgerald

David Trotter (Undersea Research Associates): "Steamship Frank H
Goodyear"

Again for 2004, there will be several 5-minute shorts, introducing new
speakers between the primary presentations.

On-line registration now available.

Pre-registration required: for more information contact
<infoshipwrecks@yahoogroups.com>, or view our web site at
http://www.vaxxine.com/nda

I was wondering who was thinking of going to Shipwrecks 2004 On March 27th in Welland?

The NDA goes to a lot of work to put this on and you have to admire their commitment as it's not easy to do an event like this.

I missed last year, but was going to try to make it this year...Anybody else?

Dive Source:
I was wondering who was thinking of going to Shipwrecks 2004 On March 27th in Welland?

The NDA goes to a lot of work to put this on and you have to admire their commitment as it's not easy to do an event like this.

I missed last year, but was going to try to make it this year...Anybody else?

I was planing on going with my g/f. It will be my first time, but I heard some great things about the event. Some of the speakers sound really interesting.

sparky30:
I was planing on going with my g/f. It will be my first time, but I heard some great things about the event. Some of the speakers sound really interesting.

I have been to most of them including the very first one 10 years ago which was held in a very hot and small library community room. There is always something for everyone and they have had some excellent speakers over the years.

The most memorable presentation I ever attended was one by a man named Dennis Hale who was the only survivor of the sinking of the Freightor Daniel J. Morrel in Lake Huron in 1966

His telling of the story was poignent and chilling as he recounted the sinking of the freightor and the deaths of his crewmates from exposure as they weathered the storm in a simple raft.

For me it was one of the most memorable presentations I have ever seen and I havce his book in a special place in my diving library. The tale puts a face to all the people ever lost on the great lakes or at sea.

Sole Survivor

It's jewels like that presentation that keep me coming back as the personal stories far outweigh the technical tales of how many tanks of trimix or hours of deco someone had to dive a wreck.

Dive Source:
I have been to most of them including the very first one 10 years ago which was held in a very hot and small library community room. There is always something for everyone and they have had some excellent speakers over the years.

The most memorable presentation I ever attended was one by a man named Dennis Hale who was the only survivor of the sinking of the Freightor Daniel J. Morrel in Lake Huron in 1966

His telling of the story was poignent and chilling as he recounted the sinking of the freightor and the deaths of his crewmates from exposure as they weathered the storm in a simple raft.

For me it was one of the most memorable presentations I have ever seen and I havce his book in a special place in my diving library. The tale puts a face to all the people ever lost on the great lakes or at sea.

Sole Survivor

It's jewels like that presentation that keep me coming back as the personal stories far outweigh the technical tales of how many tanks of trimix or hours of deco someone had to dive a wreck.

If you liked Dennis, you'll enjoy this years as well. We have Frank Mays comming up from Florida. He is the only remaining survivor of the Carl D. Bradley sinking (33 died). The Bradley along with the Morrel and Fitzgerald are the big three who have broken if half and sank on the Great Lakes. Frank has also written a book entitled " If We Can Make It til Daylight" Frank will be introduced by a short video presentation by Ric Mixter with actual Bradley footage and by also Dan Hall singing the Bradley song live. Dan interveiwed frank several yaears ago and wrote the song of the sinking and rescue telling the story from Frank's perspective.

advtech:
If you liked Dennis, you'll enjoy this years as well. We have Frank Mays comming up from Florida. He is the only remaining survivor of the Carl D. Bradley sinking (33 died). The Bradley along with the Morrel and Fitzgerald are the big three who have broken if half and sank on the Great Lakes. Frank has also written a book entitled " If We Can Make It til Daylight" Frank will be introduced by a short video presentation by Ric Mixter with actual Bradley footage and by also Dan Hall singing the Bradley song live. Dan interveiwed frank several yaears ago and wrote the song of the sinking and rescue telling the story from Frank's perspective.

I look forward to the presentation by Mr. Mays it sounds good.

As far as the singing or poetry goes I have to say they are not my favourite parts of presentations in previous years, but I guess it does make the day more interesting.

Late Registration Procedures

Due to the fact that a hot buffet lunch is provided, we greatly appreciate pre-registration so we have a better idea of how much food to have on hand. However, due to the delay in the mail, please DO NOT post registrations later than Monday March 15, 2004.

After March 15th, you may still register on-line with a PayPal account until March 22nd.

After the 22nd or if you don’t have a PayPal account, you may phone, (905) 382-2389, or register by e-mail <marshal2@vaxxine.com>. You will receive a confirmation of your registration by phone or e-mail stating that your tickets/name tags may be picked up and paid for at the pre-registration table.

Walk-Ins

We order the food 48 hours prior to the event. At that time, we order for 50 people more than we have registered. Unregistered walk-ins are allowed (seating is not a problem); however, we cannot guarantee that you will be fed, as it depends on the number who register during the last 48 hours or show up at the door. There are restaurants and fast
food outlets near by.

Doors open 8:00 AM; Show starts 9:00 AM sharp.

Ian Marshall
Shipwrecks/2004 Committee
http://www.vaxxine.com/nda
marshal2.vaxxine.com

Just a reminder to all that Shipwrecks/2004 is this Saturday March 27th. Doors open for registration at 8:00 AM and show starts promptly at 9:00 AM.

Our speakers will have items for sale (videos, books, CDs etc) on a cash basis. Remember the currency is Canadian, although most speakers will have a limited amount of US change. We also have several nonprofit groups on hand with displays. The NDA will once again have a limited number of Shipwrecks/2004 Tee Shirts available for sale.

Each household is entitled to a free one-year subscription to Scuba Press, Canada’s newest dive magazine. Due to the cost of mailing these magazines to the US, a small shipping charge ($4.75 US or $6.00 CDN) applies to US addresses. Subscription forms will be in the registration package but must be filled out and handed in to the Scuba Press table.

Also in the registration package will be a door prize ticket, which must be put in the drum at the NDA table. Each attendee receives one ticket (Free). This year we have over 40 door prizes including regulators, dive bags, dive charters, magazine subscriptions and more.

New for this year is a 50/50 draw. The Fort Erie Underwater Recovery Unit has obtained a license for the draw in support of the Lake Erie (Eastern Basin) Mooring Project. A total of up to 600 tickets may be sold at $2.00 CDN each or 3 tickets for $5.00 CDN. Three tickets may also be purchased for $4.00 US. 50% of the proceeds will go to the project, 25% first prize, 15% second prize, and 10% third prize. If all tickets were sold, this would mean between $500.00 to $600.00 (depending on how tickets were purchased) donation to the project. This would also mean prizes of $250.00 / $150.00/ $100.00 or more. Please support this worthwhile draw.

Finally, seating is not a problem. If you have friends, bring them along. The only limitation is that we only order food for about 50 people more than we have registered so those walk-ins coming late may not get fed.

I think we have another exciting show planned for this, our 10th anniversary, and I’m sure you will enjoy it. Look forward to seeing you Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom