Shipwreck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight I took my last class of the semester. I am exhausted from an intellectually hellish week, but nonetheless excited about this summer's project.

This summer will be the "Summer of the Shipwreck." Over the past three years or so I have worked diligently to find sources of information regarding local South Carolina shipwrecks. I have something like 35 different sources, including several lists of "hangs" where our local shrimp boats (think Forrest Gump) are known to snag their nets. Local shrimpers are an interesting lot, and they don't much like sharing their "numbers." Luckily for me, I am related to many of these guys...

I will be using a program called Topo USA to chart points of interest offshore. My charts will include points north of Florida and south of North Carolina ( an area previously researched only lightly), but will focus on the 30 mile radius from Hilton Head, South Carolina. The chart will include known shipwrecks, known hangs, known artificial reefs, live bottoms, ledges, and all sorts of things that would interest a diver. I'll also be including some anomalies and unknowns. Already, I have more than a dozen ship and plane wrecks that don't show up on any chart I've found - dived and verified. Included in that dozen is a DC-3 with human remains still inside, two helicopters, three blockade runners from the Civil War, and more.

Not only will I be mapping, but I will also be collecting information on the sites - confirmations, history, multiple references, and the like.

Add to that the boat that Robyn and I have this summer, and this could get seriously interesting.

I am looking for contributors to the effort - like-minded individuals who I can get to know and trust, and who are willing to contribute time and effort. I am also looking for more information - if you have information on anything in these waters, I'd be very interested. Perhaps we could figure a numbers trade. Lastly, I am looking for people with resources - other boats that would be interested in searches, and of course, anyone equipped with side scan or a mag.

I suspect that this summer's work will give many years of exploration, diving, and reward.

Please email me offlist if you're interested.

SeaJay,
By all means let me know when you need some help. I live in the Atlanta area but visit Tybee frequently and have always wanted some info about diving that area.
I've been putting together a compendium of the submerged ruins in Lake Lanier for the last several years in order to provide local divers with precise GPS coordinates and basic azimuths and distances between sites.
I'd be more than delighted to help you in your efforts.

Dennis McLeroy
I can be reached by the following:
Home Phone: (770) 442-1487
Cell Phone: (770) 757-0779
Work E-mail: DWM @ process-control.com
Home E-mail: KLRSPADE13 @ aol.com

Sounds like a tremendously rewarding experience! I only wish I could be closer to your "survey area" and had the funds to help out on such an adventure.

Goodluck and please keep us updated, I'm going to have to live this one vicariously through this forum unfortunately!

8-10 hour drive I'd imagine...

I can't afford to miss work, its possible I may be able to head down for a weekend or two with some planning. Are there any particular weekend when you think my limited skills could be of some service? I'd love to contribute, I honestly think it would be quite fun and helpful to the entire community.

I don't have a boat, yet. I hope to pick one up soon, but it won't be anything I would trust more than a mile or two off shore - looking at inflatables.

If there is anything I can help with, considering a lack of unspoken for money, by all means let me know :) Feel free to email me at pimpn_66@hotmail.com

Most interesting!

S.C. has MUCH to offer in terms of maritime archeology, and the shallow and soft bottoms offer bookoo opportunity. The shallows also contribute to all the turbidity that we all know so well!

Many of the early Spanish vessels used pilotage to sail northwards to the area of Bull's Bay, and then head easterly towards Europe.

Who knows, SeaJay may find the next ATOCHA! Good luck in wreck mapping! :D

SEAJAY.
LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOY HAVE TO OFFER. MASTER DIVER WITH 20 PLUS EXPERIENCE. gREW UP DIVING IN SC. HAVE A PARTNER TO DIVE WITH CAN HELP WITH FUNDS. SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT HEKENNEDY@BELLSOUTH.NET. lIVE MOST OF THE TIME IN HILTON HEAD AND SOUTH ATL THE REST OF THE TIME. LOOKING FOR SOME NEW CHALLENGES. I WILL BE AVAILABE AS OF SUNDAY.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom