Shipwreck Diving by Dan Berg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shipwreck Diving by Dan Berg
Aqua Explorers Inc. 1991. ISBN 0-9616167-5-X
This copy: PB, 88Pg's with many colour photos.

Picture2004-10.jpg

While this little book may come up short on its claim to be "A complete divers handbook to mastering the skills of wreck diving", it none the less gives the reader an interesting insight into the practices and equipment being used by early 1990's east coast wreck divers.

Some tidbits include the use of double buckled weightbelts to prevent accidental loss and an explanation of how a Jersey Upline works. I understood the basic principles involved before reading the book but was always a little curious how the wrecks did not become fouled with line if many divers were using them. In the book I learned that biodegradable sissal rope was used (at least by Dan) which answers that question! Also, imagine my surprise to read Capt. Dan explaining his preference for the same velcro banded independant doubles set up that I currently use today! I don't know if that means "we" have a really good idea going or if "I" am somewhat behind the times (no comments from the peanut gallery).

Each of the following subjects is touched upon by the author:

Mental attitude
Hazards
Types of shipwrecks
Equipment
Dive boats
Navigation
Communication
Penetration
Shipwreck research / identification
Finding new wrecks
Mapping
Laws
Artifact location / excavation / recovery / preservation / presentation
Shipwreck photography
Lobstering
Spearfishing

You can find more information about Dan Berg and his books (he has a few) at the following link. He even has a digital E book of this title available: scuba equipment, Aqua Explorers, Inc  shipwreck books and Wreck Valley charter dive boat.

Last edited:
Penetration skills must be exceptionally basic and condensed, if they are fitted within one single chapter of this book.

Having seen this, I certainly doubt that this is anything like a 'complete' guide to shipwreck diving.....

No, it's more like an overview. The book was written in 1991 after all so you get what was state of the art back then. Dan takes the view (in the book) that progressive penetration is important but should be supplimented with "new ideas" like running lines as the cave divers do. This melding of penetration techniques is also discussed in Bernie Chowdhurys book The Last Dive.
It is what it is, a snapshot in time. Reading a 1991 book should not take the place of current wreck diving training.

I red it and I didn't like it. I would rank it as 2 out of 3.

Almost totally useless for todays diver, totally useless except for historical reasons if you're not interested in salvaging. Salvaging is the focus for the entire book, added with some bragging from the author. My suggestion is not to read it (read something better instead), and if you really do want to read it, don't by it - read it from his web page. You can find the entire book at
w w w.shipwreckexpo.com/shipwreckdiving.htm

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

Disappointed is correct, but I have never expected a book to fully prepare anyone for wreck diving. The fact that the book was written in 1991 has nothing to do with my disappointment.

Safe Diving!
Vrakis

I guess I just look at books differently.

All books are subjective and speak to people differently so I avoid black and white pronouncements. I don't know what people are looking for in a text so I wouldn't think to tell someone not to read one. Even though I knew the info was "dated" I still found some things of interest in the book.

I also know how hard it is to actually write a book so I'm not so quick to shoot down someone elses efforts.

Perhaps you have written something more relevant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom