Shipping tanks internationally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm relocating internationally to a rather remote place on the earth (Qatar, to be exact), and I was thinking that it may be good if I purchased my own tanks and then got them filled at one of the dive shops in Doha while I can get good shipping rates. My new company is paying to ship a whole heap of things for me via sea freight (I get 750 kilos, and I don't have near that amount, so why not fill it with things I want to get, like scuba tanks).

I already know that:
1. I need to know which shipping company they will use; and
2. I should find out directly from them what their regulations are regarding what they will and will not put in the crate.

But here is what I am thinking about.

1. Are there any special considerations I will need to think about with purchasing tanks in the States but getting them filled in Qatar? I am specifically wondering if the valves will be compatible. What would I need to have?

2. I am thinking I should try to ship with, perhaps, 500 psi or 50 bar of air in each, yes?

3. Should I prepare the tanks in any special way (could they go in the crate just as they were delivered to me domestically?)

I do appreciate your input, as I've only been a tank renter. I am thinking, though, that it may be better to have the tanks myself than to have to hire all the time. I know the diving isn't the best in Qatar, but there is a diving club which meets once a week, and at least I could get in the water that way.

Contact a shop in Doha and find out if they will fill cylinders made to US/DOT specs. Many countries have their own requirements and will not recognize an other country's specs. Often people moving to a country will buy cylinders locally and then sell them when they leave to save on hassles. That said the vast amjority of cylinders in Europe are steel not sure about the middle east but I offer that as I am guessing that most of the cylinders in Qatar come from the EU.

You will not have any problems as the valves are the same DIN or Yoke throughout the world. I would probably get the 200 bar valves with the yoke inserts then you have both.

I would ship empty, valve off but with a shipping cap in place of it.

Ship them in a box so they are less apt to roll around.

Thanks very much for the advice! I have the e-mail address for a local diving club, and will e-mail them as well regarding the tank situation. The reason I was looking to purchase in the States was because I can get the tanks cheaper than in the EU, from my experience. Then shipping to the Middle East on top of that...

I will look for valves with yoke inserts, per your advice as well.

You may not be able to hydro them locally. I would look up local laws about hydrostatic testing.

Back
Top Bottom