shipping gear from US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the last year, I've been contacted by a dozen or so people on twitter, Facebook and via email who have said it all worked great. For all I know there could be more it didn't work out for though. It seems like it rarely has anything to do with leaving the US and more to do with local customs and shipping services.

I have sent divegear on a separate flight because I was way over my weight luggage.
Upon arrival in Bangkok I was charged a hell of a lot of money for some old gear.

So not exactly the same as buying new and importing, but even worse.

You'' get stung.

Olá Daniel! Você é carioca peregrinando pelo mundo e morando na Tao no momento? Parabens, rapaz! Eu deixei o Rio em 1989 (morava em Cosme Velho) e só volto pro Brasil de dois em dois anos.... quase não falo mais portugues, e quando falo, é com sotaque!

But to answer your question in English, since others may have the same question:
I have had a few customers who have sent their dive gear ahead to me via Thailand Post so that they wouldn't have to drag it all over creation before coming to Thailand. Normally these people are on longer trips and plan to go other countries for land-based visits. I've always had to pay duties when I've gone to pick it up, and the duties have generally been in the range of THB 3000-4000 for a set of gear when it has come in via Thailand Post. I also once had a DM intern who bought gear through ScubaToys and had it shipped here, I think through FedEx or DHL or similar. He had to pay duties too, but he told me that the total of the duties was a lot less than the savings he made on the purchase of the gear.

I wouldn't personally do it, but I know people who have done it and been satisfied with the result.

Agreed.......Do Not Do It, unless you figure the discount exceeds the duty.

Just had Force Fins send me a new set of fins last week and had to pay customs 15% duty. I did it only because FF had a promotion for free shipping worldwide and a 20% discount for international buyers and money back guarantee.

Cant wait to try these "miracle" fins...I'm a skeptic.

Cant wait to try these "miracle" fins...I'm a skeptic.
I had a DMT with these fins, and she swears by them, but they are sooooo expensive, that I wouldn't personally be in a position to buy a pair out of mere curiosity, as you have. If you can afford Force Fins (even with a discount), just because you want to satisfy your skepticism, you can probably afford the customs duties :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom