Sherwood Wisdom problem....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akito

Registered
Reaction score
Reading on this board, I discovered that the Sherwood Wisdom was sometimes hit and miss on reliability, but regardless warranty support was good, hence I picked one up on Friday from my LDS.
I did one dive on Saturday (drift, max 20ft, 40mins), when logging the dive a couple of hours later I noticed that the data screen stated that the Wisdom was detecting that the unit was @ LVL2 which means 2000~3000ft above sea level.
I checked the log's and the computer did log the dive at sea level. (the location was 300ft above sea level) I can't get the unit to bring itself back down to normal Sea level. I have removed the battery for a couple of hours, let the unit do it's own shutdown after the no fly time... but it doesn't seem to wanna work :(
I don't really want to take it back to the LDS unless I have tried everything... they are a 1 hour drive for me.
Does anyone know how to do the reset procedure on the Wisdom? I would like to test this at least before I absolutely have to take it back. I don't care about losing data considereing it's only got 1 dive on it.
Thanks in advance.

What your computer is really sensing is barometric pressure, not altitude. The idea of a specific pressure at a given altitude is based on the idea of a standard barometric pressure at sea level with a normal reduction in pressure occurring as altitude increaes. In reality, pressure at sea level is not always a standard 29.92 inches of mercury and likewise the pressure at a given location does not usually conform to the value expected in a "standard" atmosphere. The result can be an "error" in an altimiter calibrated only for a standard atmosphere of a 1000' or more.

Simply put, if you are in an area of low pressure (due to normal weather systems and barometric pressure changes) the computer will sense the same low pressure it would sense at a higher altitude and will think and act as if it were at higher altitude.

That is actually a good thing as in decompression, what counts is the actual atmospheric pressure at a site, not exactly how many feet it may be above sea level.

Also your computer being a level higher than you actually are is simply adding some safety so if it is going to err, you want it to be in that direction.

My suspicion is that you really don't have a problem and are maybe a little hyper vigilant in looking for one. Taking the batteries out, doing what amounts to a hard shutdown, etc, is not going to help and may even create a problem.

My suggestion is leave it alone, dive it a couple dozen dives and see how it acts and if there are any consitent trends that might indicate a real problem.

Hmm!
My sherwood wisdom with about 70 dives (bought in jan. this year)
Is flashing all kinds of weird numbers since I went diving yesterday?
It worked on the two dives but started flashing after?
any suggestions?
Rick L

Rick L:
Hmm!
any suggestions?
Rick L

Bury it and move on. I made a post a while back extolling the virtures of the Wisdom and then had 2 Wisdoms about a year old fail within 3 dives of each other. One flooded and the other developed a leak in the HP quick disconnect of the computer, not the hose.

Very disappointing and sorry to hear about yours.

Rick L:
Hmm!
any suggestions?
Rick L
See...now there is a problem.

Take it to your Sherwood dealer for replacement.

Sherwood states the failure rate is down to something like 2 percent, but we have had 10 of the 12 Wisdom's sold locally fail and I am personally on my 4th one in 2 years (but I dive a lot, 130-160 dives per year). I personally suspect that jumping off the boat with a computer heat soaked to 90-100 degrees and then being at the bottom in 100-150 feet of 39 degree water a minute or so later is causing some problems due to uneven expansion and contraction of the components and case.

They need to send their next model to us for beta testing.

Akito:
Actually sent the Wisdom into the repair depot, they did find a problem with it and replace it.

How can you send it to the repair depot? My buddy bought his in Florida and someone - either him or the shop - didn't send in the registration. Mine is 13 months old and the warranty is invalid because I didn't have my yearly service by an authorized Sherwood dealer. I did have my regs serviced with it attached by my local LDS who is not an authorized Sherwood Dealer. :pity_part

I started having problems with my Wisdom a couple of weeks ago. I bought it new in July this year. During a recent night dive the entire face went blank...no info at all. Had to abort and ascend with my buddy. During the SI the unit seemed to correct itself and it worked on the next dive. However, on more recent dives, some of the info fields are not populating consistently, and the audible alarm/flashing light activate constantly for no apparent reason, regardless of depth, tank pressure, etc. I contacted Sherwood via email tonight, and am waiting for a response on warranty/replacement of my unit. Anyone else have similar issues, or advice on helping ensure that Sherwood steps up and does the right thing?

Back
Top Bottom