Sherwood tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another tank question...I've found a couple of sherwood hp 100's for sale, still in hydro and vis, 350 for the set. I wanted to go to the 100's but these are DIN and everything I own is Yolk. I have a USD SEA 4. How good are these tanks and is this really a good deal? How much of a pain would it be to convert my current reg to DIN? One shop quoted 150 to do the work which sounded high-I think that was more then I paid for the thing.

Humbly looking for advice,

ONS

Those are usually 3500 PSI Press Steel Tank (PST) PST cylinders and being 3500 should remain in the DIN configuration. They are probably of the 7/8 thread variety for which only a few rouge yoke valve can be found.

A comparable cylinder today would be the XS Scuba X-100 and those are in the $350. EACH ballpark. As such this could be a decent deal. These are rated under the 3500PSI threshold at 3442PSi and the valves are yoke/DIN capable as delivered.

Conversion costs are had to say, tell folks what you have for a regulator.

If you don't plan to convert to DIN they may not be such a hot deal.

Pete

The Reg is a US divers SEA 4 and yea, I am worried about switching between my tanks and just the cost in general.

$350 for two tanks? The 3500 "true HP" tanks are older tanks, and as such, I'd try to bargain the guy down some, to maybe $250 for the set, but $350 isn't a terrible price.

Converting to DIN is never a bad idea, just buy a din to yoke (not "yolk," these are tanks and regs, not bacon and eggs!) adapter for $25 or so and you'll be set. You can purchase a new DIN reg for under $100, and sell your old yoke reg.

Or buy the DIN conversion kit and do it yourself. Kits are 40-70 bucks or so depending on make and require a big crescent wrench and the proper size allen wrench. The shop you checked with is ripping you off. Takes less than 5 minutes to do the switch on any reg I've seen. And with the yoke adapter no need to switch once it;s done.

Another tank question...I've found a couple of sherwood hp 100's for sale, still in hydro and vis, 350 for the set. I wanted to go to the 100's but these are DIN and everything I own is Yolk. I have a USD SEA 4. How good are these tanks and is this really a good deal? How much of a pain would it be to convert my current reg to DIN? One shop quoted 150 to do the work which sounded high-I think that was more then I paid for the thing.

Humbly looking for advice,

ONS

I have a pair of Sherwood HP 80s that I bought new in '95 and they are still going strong. I would think that $350 for the pair might not be a bad price.

Of course I have always used DIN; any reg I have I either bought as DIN or had converted shortly after purchase.

IMHO $150 is kind of steep to just swap out the Yolk for DIN, unless this includes the DIN kit as well? The DIN kit itself is usually around $60, depending on the make.

..I think those Sherwoods are made in Japan and likely use an 'obsolete' narrow tank valve...7/8" diameter, I think. Here are the downsides, if those are correct assumptions:
1) those tanks are heavier/more negative than a comparable Worthington/PST HP tank.
2) those tanks, due to a different manufacturing method, have 'thick' steel bottoms, making them more tail-heavy than a comparable Worthington/PST HP tank.
3) the obsolete tank valves don't have the flexibility of the newer convertable Thermo-style dual DIN/Yoke tank valves.....so you HAVE to use a DIN reg on them.

...a new comparable Worthington HP tank is a $350 each, but it will come standard with the Thermo convertable dual tank valve....so 2 would be $ 700. If you spend $ 350 on your used ones, then another $ 150 converting your reg to DIN, you're now @ $500......plus add a little more $ if, after you convert your reg to DIN, you have to buy a spin-on DIN-to-Yoke 1st-stage converter so you can also use Yoke tanks. Also, I have no idea when your hydros expire, if it's soon, add that expense to your $ 500 tally. However, if your used tanks are local, subtract out the expenses of shipping and sales taxes. There's really too much going on here for ME to determine if it's a good deal though......it's your call.

One shop quoted 150 to do the work which sounded high-I think that was more then I paid for the thing.

$150 to do this Reg conversion seems exceedingly high to me.
I have flipped a Dacor 960 and a newer Oceanic Delta 3 or 4 (I forget) for the cost of the part and a free installation on both occaisions.
If you are in SE Florida, you can PM me for advice as to what shop I used for the service.
I love DIN. I waited entirely too long to make the switch. There is a DIN to Yoke adapter available also, for a good price on the market as stated here, should you find yourself for whatever reason needing to be a "Yokel" for a period of time.
Once you start using DIN, your days of blowing and dealing with a leaky "o rings" on the tank valve will be a thing of the past.

Just my two pieces of copper that are really mostly made of zinc nowadays.

Chug

..I think those Sherwoods are made in Japan and likely use an 'obsolete' narrow tank valve...7/8" diameter, I think. Here are the downsides, if those are correct assumptions:
1) those tanks are heavier/more negative than a comparable Worthington/PST HP tank.
2) those tanks, due to a different manufacturing method, have 'thick' steel bottoms, making them more tail-heavy than a comparable Worthington/PST HP tank.
3) the obsolete tank valves don't have the flexibility of the newer convertable Thermo-style dual DIN/Yoke tank valves.....so you HAVE to use a DIN reg on them.

...a new comparable Worthington HP tank is a $350 each, but it will come standard with the Thermo convertable dual tank valve....so 2 would be $ 700. If you spend $ 350 on your used ones, then another $ 150 converting your reg to DIN, you're now @ $500......plus add a little more $ if, after you convert your reg to DIN, you have to buy a spin-on DIN-to-Yoke 1st-stage converter so you can also use Yoke tanks. Also, I have no idea when your hydros expire, if it's soon, add that expense to your $ 500 tally. However, if your used tanks are local, subtract out the expenses of shipping and sales taxes. There's really too much going on here for ME to determine if it's a good deal though......it's your call.

Yea-when I did the numbers it didn't add up. I really want the newer HP100's so maybe I'll just hold out or buy them one at a time. These have the advantage in that they are local so I can check them out before buying. If I ever go DIN I would want it to be because I wanted to, not becasue I had to. It may be a good idea to use DIN but right now, the cost just aren't working out for me. I am about 90% certain I am passing on these...but I want some 100's so bad:confused:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom